29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

Authorities Release Picture Of Knife They Claim Was In Possession Of Ontario Man Shot, Killed By Police

View Comments
Top Features
textalerts180 Authorities Release Picture Of Knife They Claim Was In Possession Of Ontario Man Shot, Killed By Police

ONTARIO (CBSLA.com) — Ontario police Monday released a picture of a knife they claim was in the hand of a 58-year-old man who was shot and killed by authorities over the weekend.

KCAL9’s Greg Mills reported that images taken from a camera attached to an officer’s stun gun also appeared to show a knife in the right hand of Jose Raul Herrera, who died around 11:40 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of North Placer Avenue.

Family members of Herrera said they called for a paramedic after Herrera, who had been drinking during a Mother’s Day celebration, passed out suddenly on Saturday. His family said they were concerned due to his heart condition.

When he awoke, Herrera reportedly ran off.

Herrera’s son said he flagged down a police officer in the area.

Police said an officer fired his or her weapon after they believed another officer was in danger.

Herrera was pronounced dead at the scene.

Herrera’s family told KCAL9’s Greg Mills that Herrera, a father and grandfather who worked as a truck driver, was unarmed.

RELATED STORY:

Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting In Ontario

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus