29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

Sources: Banned Clippers Owner Sterling Has No Intention To Sell Team

View Comments
Clippers Central
Shop for Clippers Gear
Buy Clippers Tickets

NBA Scoreboard
NBA Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up
Sterling Scandal

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A source is saying that current Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who was banned from the NBA for life by Commissioner Adam Silver earlier Tuesday, has said that he has no intention to sell the team.

CBS2 Sports Director Jim Hill says he has been told by a source that Sterling’s initial reaction to Silver’s actions is to not sell the team.

Commissioner Silver earlier Tuesday said he would do all in his power to make certain that the Clippers would ultimately be sold.

“Effective immediately, I am banning Mr. Sterling for life with any association with the Clippers organization or the NBA,” Commissioner Silver said in the press conference on Tuesday. “… As for Mr. Sterling’s ownership interest in the Clippers, I will urge the Board of Governors to exercise its authority to force a sale of the team and will do everything in my power to ensure that happens.”

COMPLETE COVERAGE: CLIPPERS OWNER CONTROVERSY

The NBA Board of Governors, however, have to vote 75% in favor of terminating his ownership for the action to proceed. So far, the Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and Chicago Bulls have shared with a CBS News poll that they support forcing Sterling to sell the team.

Head Coach Doc Rivers acknowledged that the last few days have been hard for the team and the fans alike, but that “Adam Silver, today, was fantastic. Personally I thought he made a decision that, really, was the right one, that had to be made. You know, I don’t think this is something that we rejoice in or anything like that.”

While it is not known who the next contenders in line would be to attempt to acquire the team, the most common name is that of former Laker great and current Los Angeles Dodgers co-owner Magic Johnson.

(credit: ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images)

(credit: ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images)

Johnson was singled out in Sterling’s remarks as an individual that he did not want attending his games.

A number of reports suggest Magic and his Guggenheim partners may, in fact, be interested in the Clippers.

A number of other NBA stars and personalities also shared their reactions to Silver’s actions on social media.

“Let’s hope this is an opportunity for all of us as players, former players, as a league, as a community to help educate and help take one step further to erradicating racism in our communities,” Lakers guard Steve Nash said. “Again this is a really proud day for all of us players, for our league, and I want to thank everybody for all their hard work to find this quick resolution, and hopefully, we can see out Adam Silver’s decision today, and make this a thing of the past as quickly as possible.”

Johnson was also singled out in Silver’s press conference, in which the commissioner delivered a personal apology for Sterling’s comments.

The Clippers released a statement Tuesday afternoon in reaction to Silver’s actions, which read in part:

“We wholeheartedly support and embrace the decision by the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver today. Now the healing process begins.”

Mr. Silver additionally imposed a $2.5 million fine on Sterling.

The Clippers, meanwhile, will try to focus on their play, as they attempt to take a pivotal Game 5 in their current playoff series against the Golden State Warriors.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,341 other followers