BOYLE HEIGHTS (CBSLA.com) — Authorities announced Tuesday a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the hit-and-run driver responsible for killing a pedestrian earlier this year.
Los Angeles police, who announced the reward at a 9 a.m. news conference, continue to search for the female suspect who struck 54-year-old Edward Nix on Feb. 3 while he was crossing Olympic Boulevard in Boyle Heights.
“He needed the assistance of a cane, so as he walked across, he was walking pretty slow. There were other cars that yielded for him, however my hit-and-run vehicle did not break for him at all,” Det. Felix Padilla said.
Nix, a retired construction worker who was walking to get a cup of coffee at the time of the accident, suffered severe head injuries and was transported to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he later died.
“It happened four days before he celebrated his 55th birthday,” Nix’s daughter, Kunyah, said. “We’re just asking for anyone who might know anything to please come forward.”
The suspect vehicle was described as a red, older-model Honda van, authorities said.
Anyone with more information on the case was urged to call Det. Padilla at the LAPD Central Traffic Division at (213)833-3713 or (213)972-6953; or (877) LAPD-247.