Carson Backs Down On Plan That Would Prohibit Chain-Link Fences In Residential Neighborhoods
CARSON (CBSLA.com) — The Carson Planning Commission has backed down on a controversial plan that would prohibit the use of chain-link fences in residential neighborhoods.
The commission was set to vote Tuesday night on the proposed ban, which would have also prohibited any fence over four feet tall that faces the street.
Residents, however, showed up at the meeting to speak out against the idea.
“The city of Carson is not Palos Verdes and it’s going to be a hardship for most of these people,” resident Douglas Chaney said.
While the city agreed to postpone the vote indefinitely, they said the issue will be revisited someday.
“It will come up again; we’ll just have to come back and keep fighting,” Chaney said.
Last month, a vote to prohibit chain-link fences for businesses was also postponed.
Ten cities in Los Angeles County, including Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach and Torrance, do not allow chain-link fences.