Family Of Corvette Driver Fatally Shot After Chase Will File Claim Against LAPD For $20M
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The family of the Corvette driver shot and killed following a high-speed chase with law enforcement last week said they will file a claim against the Los Angeles Police Department for $20 million in damages.
On Thursday, KCAL9’s Cristy Fajardo spoke to Dale Galipo, the family’s attorney.
Galipo said three officers fired between 15 and 20 rounds at unarmed Brian Newt Beaird, a 51-year-old disabled veteran. After Beaird got out of his recently purchased 2013 Corvette, officers said he appeared to flee.
However, Galipo denied that is what happened.
“I believe the evidence will come out that will show it did not happen that way. I think that, as usual, some of the officers completely overreacted. They started to fire at this person for no good reason,” Galipo said.
Beaird’s family insist he was just paranoid and very scared. He called his family several times during the chase and asked why the police wanted to question him.
An hour into the chase, Beaird plowed into another car in downtown Los Angeles before hitting a fire hydrant.
Earlier this week, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck warned the public not to jump to conclusions.
Thursday, he placed the three officers on paid administrative leave after a preliminary investigation. He said he was “very concerned” about the circumstances that led up to the shooting, according to KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschuitta.
Galipo said the fact Beaird is seen being shot seconds after getting out of the car indicates the shooting was unjustified.
He told KCAL9’s Brittney Hopper the fact his unarmed client got out of the car with his arms up would make it difficult for them to justify their actions.
“The officers from the LAPD are required to give recorded statements to the attorneys and representatives within 24 hours,” Galipo said. “They know what the officers’ stories are, and they already know what happened.”
Galipo said he and the family were holding a Friday news conference to announce the $20 million claim against the LAPD.
“Half of my cases,” Galipo said, “the shootings I handle are probably this bad — but the public never heard of them because they’re not caught on video.”