LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — After serving two years of a four-year sentence, Conrad Murray is tentatively scheduled to be released from jail Monday.
Murray, of course, was convicted in the 2009 involuntary manslaughter of pop superstar Michael Jackson inside the singer’s Holmby Hills mansion.
Jackson was in intense rehearsals for his “This Is It” tour when the doctor administered a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol.
All the while, Murray has insisted that he did nothing wrong in his treatment of the singer and argued during trial that Jackson likely gave himself the fatal dosage while Murray was out of the room.
The DA argued the drug should never have been administered outside a hospital setting and with proper monitoring equipment.
Jackson referred to the white-colored propofol as his “milk,” and used it to combat a major problem he had with insomnia.
Murray, now 60, was sentenced in November 2011 to four years. He is serving his time at the Men’s Central Jail in downtown Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department announced earlier this year that Murray’s projected release date was Oct. 28.
Murray’s sped-up release comes as a result of standard good-behavior credits.
News of his pending release prompted some angry comments from Jackson’s family.
Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the sheriff’s department, said the agency had no comment about Murray’s anticipated release.
During a recent “Today” show interview about his plans after his release, Murray said, “I will restart my life and, God willing, I will be a model to show the world that despite adversity, and when bad things happen to good people, they can restart their life and succeed.”
Murray’s medical license was suspended, but Valerie Wass, his appeals attorney, has said he hopes to regain his license and resume his practice.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)