Learn To Make Jalapeño Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Baja Style!
STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Enrique Tayun, manager of training and development at El Torito, stopped by KCAL9 Wednesday to tell viewers about the restaurant’s new “Flavors of Baja” menu!
The menu features the flavors of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula.
Enrique shared one of the most popular items on the Baja menu:
Jalapeño Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp:
Yield: 12 each
12 each Jalapeños
12 each Shrimp, 21-25, cleaned, tail on
12 each Manchego cheese, cut 1/4 oz strips
6 each Bacon, sliced, thin, raw
12 each Toothpicks
- Cut jalapeños on both ends, cut one side across and remove seeds and veins
- Chile should result in a sheet of approx. 2″
- Boil chiles quickly in a small sauce pan with 2 cups water, 3 Tbsp. sugar & 2 Tbsp. steak sauce
- Remove from fire and cool immediately
- Make two small cuts across each shrimp to hold straight and prevent curling
- Place one strip of cheese in each shrimp and wrap with a sheet of jalapeño
- Cut bacon in half, stretch lightly and starting from head side of shrimp wrap tightly
- Skew shrimp with toothpick to prevent bacon from opening
- Cook wrapped shrimp in a pan for approx. 2 minutes each side or until half done
- Transfer into lined baking pan and cook in pre-heated oven (350F) for 12-15 minutes until done
- Baste with jalapeño jelly and butter during baking procedure
- Serve with rice, vegetables and a side of jalapeño jelly for dipping
- Remove toothpick before serving
Note: Shrimp may be prepared ahead of time, wrapped and refrigerated until use.
Yield: Two Cups
1/2 each Red bell peppers, chopped finely
1/2 each Green bell peppers, chopped finely
3 each Fresh jalapeño, chopped finely
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Red vinegar
1 each Lime juice, fresh squeeze
1 oz Fruit pectin, liquid**
** Liquid fruit pectin can be found at most grocery stores.
- Place peppers, sugar, vinegar and lime juice in a suitable sauce pan and bring to a quick boil
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Return to high heat and stir in pectin, bring to a boil and cook for 1 -2 minutes
- Remove from heat and cool immediately