Hunt Is On For Suspects Who Brutally Mugged 2 Men In Santa Ana
WARNING: THE IMAGES IN THIS VIDEO ARE GRAPHIC
SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — Police are looking for a group of suspects who brutally mugged two men in separate attacks in Santa Ana last week.
Detectives said in the first assault, which happened before dawn Aug. 18 at West 5th and Forest, four robbers nearly killed a man over $26 in his pocket.
Through an interpreter, the victim, who nearly had his finger amputated, said, “Thank God that I had used my hands in order to block the strike. One of my fingers took most of the brunt of the force of the strike. I believe that if the object would have struck my head, it would have killed me or rendered me unconscious, and (I) possibly (could have) been run over by a vehicle or something.”
Minutes later, two blocks away, two suspects bashed another man’s skull and face with a large wrench. They left with the $700 the 50-year-old victim had in his wallet.
That man, who wished to remain unidentified, told KCAL9’s Michele Gile that he only remembers a fierce blow to his head and then waking up in the hospital, where he underwent surgery.
“I want to let people know, let them be aware of what’s going on, so they can be more alert and this doesn’t happen to them,” he said.
Police believe the suspects in both cases were working together.
Anyone with information on the crimes was encouraged to contact the Santa Ana Police Department.