SHERMAN OAKS (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles City Council Wednesday offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the person responsible for a fatal hit-and-run accident earlier this month.
Ernesto Melendez, 22, died in the early morning hours of Aug. 18 in Sherman Oaks, police said.
According to a LAPD investigation, a gray 2010-2013 Hyundai Tucson was traveling westbound on Ventura Boulevard when it collided with the open driver’s side door of a parked Ford Focus.
Melendez, who owned the Ford, was getting into the vehicle with the help of a valet attendant when the car was hit.
“The Hyundai continued and collided with the left rear of an unattended parked vehicle located directly in front of the Ford Focus,” the statement said.
Melendez, of Van Nuys, was transported to a local hospital where he died of his injuries, police said.
The Hyundai could have damage to its hood and windshield, in addition to a missing right rearview mirror, Det. William Bustos said.
“Unfortunately at this point, we don’t have any more leads,” he told KNX 1070.