Michael Jackson’s Former Security Chief Takes Stand For Second Day
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Michael Jackson’s former Head of Security was back on the stand Monday under questioning from Jackson family attorneys about the singer’s career.
Michael La Perruque, a retired L.A. County Sheriff’s lieutenant who worked as Michael Jackson’s bodyguard, testified for a second day in the wrongful death lawsuit brought by the singer’s family against concert promoter AEG Live.
The jury was shown videos of a music video filmed at Universal Studios in 2001, an appearance by Jackson at a Democratic fundraising event in 2002, and an American Bandstand anniversary event one month later.
La Perruque testified that he was present with the singer at those events.
The jury also saw video of Michael Jackson’s cameo appearance in ‘Men In Black 2′.
Asked to explain the videos’ relevance to the wrongful death suit, Jackson family attorneys said AEG attorneys were arguing that the singer had not done any significant work since his HIStory Tour in the late 1990s and were trying to portray Jackson as under the influence of drugs.
Under questioning by AEG last week, La Perruque testified that he worked for Jackson between 2001 and 2004 and observed the singer with slurred speech and apparently under the influence of what he called “stimulants” between 10 and 15 times. He also testified he spoke to Jackson on the phone another 10 to 15 times when the pop star had slurred speech.
The jury also saw a video deposition Monday from an AEG financial consultant who said he helped the concert promoter prepare a contract for Dr. Conrad Murray.
AEG maintains that contract was never fully executed.
Michael Jackson’s mother, Katherine Jackson, is suing AEG Live for what she claims was negligence in the hiring and supervision of Conrad Murray, who was brought on board as Michael Jackson’s physician while the singer prepared for his ill-fated comeback concert series.
AEG denies any wrongdoing and maintains the doctor was brought on at Jackson’s request.
Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011 after he was found guilty of administering the fatal dose of propofol that killed Jackson in 2009.
He is currently serving a four-year sentence in a L.A. County jail.