LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Police Department Wednesday announced the arrest of a 16-year-old male suspect who is believed to have incited crime sprees in Hollywood and Crenshaw last week.
The teen, whose name was withheld due to his age, was arrested for inciting a riot, saying he used social media to help organize robberies and vandalism on July 15 and 16 following the George Zimmerman verdict.
“A young man, using social media, caused a gathering in both of those areas, Southwest and in Hollywood, for purposes of unlawful activity,” Chief Kirk Albanese said during a news conference.
The suspect has no connection to a crime spree that took place in Long Beach earlier this summer, police said.
At least nine other young people have been charged with robbery and are accused of taking people’s cell phones, a wallet and a skateboard during the Hollywood rampage.
Three girls and two boys — all 16 years old — and four 15-year-old boys, whose names were withheld, pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
“There are a number of postings within social media that are all being examined in terms of the investigation,” said Chief Albanese.
Detectives Wednesday also released a surveillance photo of another suspect wanted for robbing five businesses in Hollywood.
Anyone with information, including cell phone video of the crime sprees, is urged to contact the LAPD at 1-800-222-TIPS.