Chris Brown Pleads Not Guilty In Hit-And-Run Case, Other Charges Dropped
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Misdemeanor charges of driving without a license where dropped Tuesday against singer Chris Brown.
The charges were filed in connection with a May 21 accident near Toluca Lake where he allegedly rear-ended a Mercedes, refused to give the other driver his license and provided her with fake insurance information before leaving the scene.
Brown still faces one misdemeanor charge of hit-and-run and has pleaded not guilty, prosecutors said.
The 24-year-old’s attorney, Mark Geragos, said he hopes to have the case resolved by the singer’s next court date on Aug. 15.
If the case is not resolved, Brown must appear at the hearing. The singer also must be formally booked on the misdemeanor charge by police, and Geragos was ordered to provide the court with proof of the booking by Aug. 6.
Throughout court proceedings, Brown has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing by taking to Twitter.
As a result of the original charges, Judge James Brandlin revoked Brown’s probation on July 15 stemming from a domestic violence conviction involving ex-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009.
He was sentenced to five years’ probation, which requires him to obey all laws.
After revoking Brown’s probation last week, Judge Brandlin scheduled another hearing for Aug. 16.
If an agreement is not reached between the prosecution and the defense, a hearing will be scheduled to determine of Brown actually violated his probation by being charged in connection with the May crash.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)