NEWPORT BEACH (CBSLA.com) — Dozens of Fourth of July revelers were taken into custody in Newport Beach and surrounding beaches.
Newport Beach police told the Associated Press that 123 arrests were made by early Friday morning, more than 50 of which were made in Hermosa Beach and Huntington Beach. Authorities told CBS2 that most of the arrests were made for disorderly conduct.
Offenders were booked at an area set up outside Old City Hall, put on a bus and then taken to Newport Beach jail.
Although police said the number was on par with last year, officials and some revelers insisted that this year was far more tame than the last.
“Family friendly is the word of the day. We definitely want the residents as well as the visitors to our city to be able to enjoy a safe environment,” a police spokeswoman said.
Authorities estimated more than 100,000 people were on the beach Thursday, pouring from along the boardwalk onto the side streets.
Rancho Cucamonga resident Arlene Martinez said their efforts to keep the crowd safe appeared to be working.
“Everyone is more relaxed. They just want to enjoy the day,” she said.
Newport Beach police took a more pro-active approach to crack down on troublemakers. They kept pedestrian traffic more free-flowing by not barricading streets like in the past.
“We are focusing on making sure we have a fluid response to incidents that might come up into the field,” a police spokeswoman said.
They also received help from other agencies to try to keep things safe, including Garden Grove, Santa Ana and Anaheim police along with the CHP.
“We are just out here helping keep the crime down and helping the city of Newport Beach have a great 4th of July,” CHP Officer Robert Flocker said.