STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Get ready to grill this summer!
Chef Jose Acevedo from Mercado restaurant visited KCAL9 Monday to cook up some carne asada and show viewers some summer grilling tips.
Located in the heart of downtown Santa Monica, Mercado serves as the third installation of a classic and contemporary Mexican restaurant group that includes El Arco Iris in Highland Park and Yxta Cocina Mexicana in downtown Los Angeles.
Mercado is an inventive mix of food, atmosphere and tradition, reflecting the heart & soul of Mexican dining. The beautiful space, designed by New York interior designer Poonam Khanna, is an eclectic fusion of modern design, accented with classic touches, that create the ultimate in intimate upscale dining, while remaining accessible and comfortable.
The menu exemplifies the cuisine and flavor of he and co-owner Jesse Gomez’s deep Mexican roots, featuring times such as Chef Acevedo’s signature Carnitas, created from a recipe handed down through generations. With tortillas made by hand daily, the finest meats, poultry and seafood, flavorful sauces, carefully crafted ceviche, enchiladas and tacos, produce from the local farmers’ market, and everything made from the freshest ingredients, Mercado offers handcrafted Mexican cuisine, artful design, warm atmosphere and service that is both friendly and informed to guide each guest through the dining experience.
Summer Grilling Tips:
• Always start with a clean grill so no old remnants contaminate the fresh product.
• Make sure the grill is at an appropriate temperature before dropping any items on it–roughly 350 to 400 degrees.
• Always preseason the protein before placing on the grill
• Clean after every new protein is dropped on grill. For example if you grill ten chicken breasts and then want to cook ten steaks clean the grill again before dropping the steaks.
• Always use high quality proteins or vegetables when grilling and marinate properly and for the appropriate time.
For Chef Acevedo’s recipes, click here.