Police Search For Man Who Allegedly Attacked Metro Bus Driver In Compton
COMPTON (CBSLA.com) — Police are on the hunt for a man who allegedly attacked a Metro bus operator in Compton earlier this week.
The incident happened around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday near a Metro stop at Central Avenue and 156th Street, according to Deputy Kim Manatt of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau.
The suspect struggled to put money in the fare box and started punching the 53-year-old driver when he pulled away from the curb, said Manatt.
“The suspect…began to repeatedly punch the bus operator as he drove the bus with six to 10 passengers on board,” she said. “The bus operator stopped the bus in the middle of the roadway during the assault.”
The driver said he believes he opened the door to the bus and that’s when the suspect fled.
The victim was taken to the hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.
The suspect was described as Hispanic, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 160 to 180 pounds, with short dark hair and dark eyes.
He was wearing a dark T-shirt with “Breeders Cup” printed on the front and faded blue jeans.
The suspect is wanted for felony assault with intent to commit great bodily injury.
Authorities encouraged anyone with information on the case to contact Det. James Eggers, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Transit Services Bureau at (213) 922-3625.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)