Toxicologist: ‘Very Problematic’ That Jackson Was Given Anesthetic At Home
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A Los Angeles County Coroner’s office criminalist testified Monday that he believed it was “very problematic” when he learned that the powerful anesthetic propofol was administered to singer Michael Jackson at the entertainer’s home rather than at a hospital.
KNX 1070′s Margaret Carrero reports toxicologist Daniel Anderson was the first to take the stand in the second week of testimony in Katherine Jackson’s multi-billion-dollar civil suit against AEG.
Anderson said propofol and other drugs were found during post-mortem toxicology tests of the pop star, noting that propofol was of most concern in his testimony during trial of the negligence-wrongful death lawsuit brought by Jackson’s mother and three children against concert promoter AEG Live.
“It raises a red flag in my eyes,” Anderson said. “It’s very problematic to find it outside the hospital setting.”
Toxicology tests detected six other drugs in Jackson’s system — lidocaine, diazepam, nordiazepam (a metabolite of Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), midazolam (Versed) and ephedrine — according to Anderson.
Lawyers for Jackson allege that concert promoter AEG is at least partly responsible for his death because they failed to fully vet Dr. Conrad Murray, who is serving four years for involuntary manslaughter.
The trial, which started last week, is expected to continue for several months. Jackson’s children are also expected to testify.