LAPD Receives 600 Tips On Dorner’s Possible Whereabouts
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Police have received more than 600 tips regarding sightings of triple-murder suspect Christopher Dorner since a $1 million reward for his arrest was announced Sunday afternoon.
The reward is the largest of its kind to be offered locally in the hunt for the man suspected of killing a Riverside police officer and a young Irvine couple last week.
“We have been in contact with the parents and the family of Dorner and we will continue to do so throughout this investigation,” Lt. Anyd Neiman said. “Our hope is that he will turn himself in, and whether that’s a relative that turns him in for whatever motivation, whether it’s the million-dollar reward, we would certainly welcome that.”
The search for the 33-year-old suspect continues to a put stress on the Los Angeles Police Department, which canceled a tactical alert Monday morning that was in place since last Friday.
“Police math is this: in order to put a police officer in one place, 24/7, 365 (days), it takes 5.5 police officers. So when I have to do security details at 50 areas, well you do that math. It’s an incredible burden on our resources,” LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said.
Two false sightings were reported in Northridge Sunday night, police said. Authorities expect more cases of mistaken identity until Dorner is captured.
Authorities are asking the public to call 9-1-1 if they come in contact with Dorner. Do not approach him as he is considered armed and dangerous.
To report general information and tips that could help in the investigation, call (213) 486-6860 or (800) 222-TIPS.
Police will hold another briefing at 3 p.m. Monday.