29_35x90 knx_35x90
CBSLA WEATHER APP: iPhone App Store | Android App Coming Soon | More Info | Watch Josh's Live Demo

Local

LA County Department Of Public Health Issues Cold Weather Advisory

View Comments
Photo Galleries

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Chilling temperatures in the Antelope Valley prompted the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Tuesday to issue a Cold Weather Advisory.

The advisory, which is in effect through Wednesday, is issued when temperatures are expected to be below freezing.

“We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” Jonathan E. Fielding, M.D., M.P.H., Director of Public Health and Health Officer said in a statement. “There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities.”

Homeless shelters are open through March 14, providing more than 1,400 beds at 20 different shelters in Los Angeles County.

“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during such cold snaps; care should be taken to ensure they dont get too cold when they are outside,” Fielding said.

Call 211 for more information as beds are available on a first come first serve basis.

Experts encourage residents to follow these tips during the cold weather:

  • Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
  • Protect extremities from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks.
  • Offer to help those in your neighborhood with limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently.
  • During peak cold times, if you dont have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers.
  • If you have pets, bring them indoors and do not leave them outside overnight.
  • If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home.
  • Stoves, barbeques and ovens can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide when used to heat a home. Never use these appliances in place of approved heaters such as electric, natural gas, or fireplaces.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning.
View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,334 other followers