Parents Pull Kids Out Of Whittier School After Principal’s Stalker Resurfaces
WHITTIER (CBSLA.com) — Some parents pulled their kids out of a Catholic school in Whittier Tuesday after they found out, on their own, that the principal’s stalker had resurfaced.
At a St. Bruno Catholic School safety meeting, parents expressed outrage that they weren’t first notified by officials that Ronald Martinez, who was arrested and convicted of stalking Principal Catherine Carvalho, recently violated his parole by stalking another victim in a neighboring city.
“Full disclosure. They refused to do that. They say this is their school and it’s going to be their decision and that’s it,” an unidentified mother told KCAL9’s Serene Branson.
Parents originally found out about Martinez in November after a former first-grade instructor sent out a mass email about the “deranged man” who had been harassing the principal.
The teacher said the man showed up at the K-8 school, left packages on campus and mentioned death in his communications.
Authorities later revealed that Carvalho had filed a complaint in October against Martinez, who was her former high school classmate.
The man was put under a restraining order after Carvalho’s previous one against him expired.
Parents said nothing has changed with regards to school safety since they were told about Martinez.
“We made comments. They just laughed at us. No progress whatsoever,” said a woman.
Branson reported that parents have called for the principal’s resignation and have considered moving their children to different schools.
“There’s been a lot of division in the families and that’s all for the worst. It’s all because of (Carvalho),” a mother said.
St. Bruno Catholic School officials and Carvalho had no comment about the parents’ safety concerns.