Want To Make A Fitness Change In 2013? Try Combining CrossFit Workout With Paleo Diet!
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Looking to make a health change this new year?
Owner/Head Coach of CrossFit Sunset and a Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef Ty Vincent stopped by KCAL9 Wednesday to discuss the benefits of a Paleo diet when combined with a CrossFit workout!
Paleo is a super-healthy diet based on eating the wholesome fresh meats, seafood, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and seeds our hunter-gatherer ancestors thrived on thousands of years ago.
Here are some recipes Vincent shared so viewers can make simple Paleo diet friendly food at home:
Egg and Sweet Potato Hash
• 1 small sweet potato
• 1 egg
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1/4 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 2 tbsp water
1. Peel sweet potato and shred on large grates of box grater
2. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in non stick pan
3. Add potato to pan and start to sauté. Add spices to potato.
4. Cook potato for 3-4 minutes. Get a nice crust on potato.
5. Create small nest in center of potato. Crack egg into center. Add water to pan and cover.
6. Cook egg on potato for another 2 1/2 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, take off lid and plate.
• 2 eggs beaten
• 1 medium sausage (spicy or sweet)
• 1 small diced shallot
• 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
• 1 cup fresh spinach (about a handful)
• 1 Tbs chopped sun dried tomato
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 Tbs avocado oil (can find at Whole foods or farmers market. Can also use coconut if can’t find avocado)
• Half of a small avocado diced
• 1 1/2 Tbs Diced Tomato
1. Remove sausage from casing, crumble up, and cook in a small frying pan until browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and add shallot. Cook about 2 minutes and then add spinach. Cook shallot until tender and translucent and spinach is wilted. Remove from pan and mix with sausage.
2. While the sausage is cooking, beat the eggs in a small bowl with garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt & pepper.
3. In same pan add the avocado oil and add egg mixture
4. Cook your eggs on medium-low heat for about 2 minutes. Don’t stir them!
5. Flip your eggs over using a spatula.
6. Once your eggs are cooked through slide them onto a plate and top with sausage and remaining ingredients.
7. FOLD AND ENJOY!!!
Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce
• 3-5 lb “Boston Butt” Pork Shoulder
• 1 head of garlic peeled
• 3 cups Chicken Broth
• 3-4 Tbs Olive Oil (Depends on size of Pork)
• 2 tsp Liquid Smoke
• Salt and Pepper
1. Rinse pork under cold water and pat dry.
2. Cut slits in the entire pork shoulder and stud with garlic cloves
3. Lightly Salt and Pepper the outside of pork
4. Add oil to large pan and bring to high temp. Sear pork on all sides. About 8-10 minutes total.
5. Place pork in crock pot and cover with chicken broth cook on low for 8-10 hours
6. After cook time remove pork from crock pot and let cool enough till you can handle it
7. Discard any thick fat, connective tissue, or veins
8. Shred Pork. I find the best tool is your hands, but if thats not your thing then use 2 forks to shred
9. Toss with BBQ Sauce and Garnish with avocado.
• 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
• 3 cloves finely minced/pasted garlic(can use 1 Tbsp crushed garlic from jar instead)
• 2 shallot, minced
• 1 tsp mustard powder
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp liquid smoke
• 1 tsp cumin
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 2-3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp organic raw honey
• 6oz can tomato paste (no salt)
1. In sauce pan, heat oil on medium heat
2. Add shallots and saute until soft and translucent. In 30 seconds of cooking add the garlic. This way it wont burn.
3. Add water, mustard, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, and salt and continue to sauté (another 30 seconds).
4. Add broth, lime juice, honey, and tomato paste. Whisk all ingredients until smooth.
5. Bring to light boil, reduce heat to simmer with a lid slightly covering pan.
6. Simmer 45-50 minutes and then let cool to room temp.
For more information, visit CrossFit Sunset.