STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Executive Chef Dakota Weiss stopped by KCAL9 on Tuesday to showcase a few of the more popular dishes from the W Hotel in Westwood, along with the hotel’s signature holiday skating rink called “CHILL”.
Weiss has created signature dishes including Cherry Stone Clams baked with Chorizo and Mezcal Butter; Char Grilled Hobbs Bacon with Apple and Habenero Chimichurri; Sherry Braised Dates with Pancetta, Manchego and grilled bread; and Warm Apple Tart with “Moonshine” Hard Sauce and Clove Crumble.
Recipe for the Nutella Fondue:
• 2 cups Nutella
• 4 Cups Heavy Cream.
• 2 stick Cinnamon
• 1 piece Star Anise
• Dash Nutmeg (fresh ground)
• Fruit to dip…apples, dried pineapple, berries, candied orange peel, etc …
• Heat Cream with the spices, bring to a simmer and discard spices. Whisk in Nutella until smooth and creamy!
Cherry Stone Clams:
• In a large pan bury the clams in polenta (cornmeal) and fill to the top with water, let sit for a couple of hours.
• Whip 1# unsalted butter with 4 shallots (brunoise) 3 cloves garlic (minced), 1/8# chives (chopped), 3 limes (zest and juice), 2/3 cup Mezcal
• mix well in kitchen aid and season with sea salt
• Rinse clams and place on a hot grill until they open up.
• Rip off the top, release the clam from the bottom shell but leave inside.
• Spoon the butter on top of the clam and bake until the butter melts into the calm
• Sprinkle some aged chorizo on top, cilantro and eat!
Braised Dates with Pancetta:
• Saute 1 onion (julienne), 4 garlic cloves (minced) in olive oil until caramelized
• Add 2 cups dates (cut in half and pit removed), deglaze pan with 1 cup sherry wine and ¼ cup sherry vinegar
• Reduce the liquid to au sec.
• Cut a piece of baguette about ½ inch think, drizzle with evoo and sea salt and grill on both sides
• Spoon the date mixture onto the bread, sprinkle on the crispy pancetta and shave manchego cheese on top.
For more information, visit the W Hotel’s website.