Local

Firefighters Rescue Pet Dog From Burning Westchester Home

View Comments
(credit: MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images

(credit: MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images

Photo Galleries

WESTCHESTER (CBSLA.com) — A dog was rescued from a burning home by Los Angeles firefighters Tuesday evening in Westchester.

The fire broke out around 5:15 p.m. at a home in the 8300 block of South Georgetown Avenue, Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

When crews arrived on scene, the one-story home was fully engulfed.

During a search of the structure, “firefighters found a non-breathing pet dog and swiftly pulled her from the smoke charged structure into the waiting arms of LAFD Paramedics, who labored passionately to resuscitate the seemingly lifeless soot-covered pet,” Humphrey said.

Rescuers were able to restore breathing to the 8-year-old mixed breed dog, according to officials.

The dog was taken to a local animal hospital, where she is expected to survive.

The fire, which was caused by a wall furnace, was extinguished in 15 minutes. No other injuries were reported.

Damage was estimated at $210,000, Humphrey said.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,445 other followers