STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Flu season is fast approaching, and a number of us may be wondering when we should take a trip to the doctor to get vaccinated.
Dr. Ruth Sorotzkin, a family medicine physician at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, says the optimal time to get a flu shot is now.
She answered these essential questions about flu shots during a visit to KCAL9 on Sunday morning:
- Why should we get the flu shot?
- When is flu season at its peak? When is the best time to get a flu shot?
- What makes the shot so effective? How many different flu strains will this year’s shot protect us against?
- How long does the shot last? Is there any benefit to receiving a flu shot twice a year?
- What are the potential side effects of a flu shot?
- What are the greatest myths about the flu shot?
- Why is it so difficult to convince patients to get flu shots annually?
- Which high-risk patient population should be getting the flu shot?
- For expecting mothers, why is the flu shot so important? Are there any potential risks to unborn babies?
- With school back in session; how important is it for parents, teachers and children to get flu shots?
- Last year’s flu season was considered “mild.” Can this be attributed to a higher number of people getting shots?
For more information about Saint John’s Health Center, visit their website.