Create ‘Back-To-School Backpacks’ For Seniors With Tips From Senior Helpers
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Heather Yost of Senior Helpers stopped by KCAL9 Tuesday to talk about how the organization keeps seniors’ minds active by helping local families create “back-to-school backpacks” for seniors.
Senior Helpers encourages seniors to participate in cognitive activities, games and crafts in order to decrease memory loss.
Yost gave viewers suggested items to put in a “back-to-school backpack” for seniors.
Backpack items should include:
• Hand-held computer games (such as Connect Four or Scrabble)
• Books, magazines or crossword puzzles
• Do-It-Yourself birdhouse kit
• Fake flowers to arrange
• Deck of cards
• Etch-a-sketch (draw or play games such as Hang Man, Tic-Tac-Toe, etc.)
• Paint by numbers (model cars or other objects)
• Gardening seeds
For more information, visit Senior Helpers.