MID CITY (CBSLA.com) — The Santa Monica (10) Freeway is back open following a car-to-car shooting and an accident involving an LAPD cruiser early Monday morning.
The initial incident occurred around 3:15 a.m. when authorities responded to a car-to-car shooting on the 10 Freeway at La Brea Avenue.
Police say three people in a red Ford Mustang were traveling eastbound when at least two shots were fired from a dark-colored pickup truck.
An 18-year-old man was wounded in the neck and was hospitalized in stable condition, authorities said.
Two other passengers in the Mustang were not injured.
Police say the trio had been at a nightclub prior to the shooting, but they were unaware of any incident that may have prompted the gunfire.
Authorities are looking for the shooter.
The California Highway Patrol issued a Sig Alert, shutting down part of the 10 Freeway to conduct an investigation.
Officials say two Los Angeles Police Department officers, aiding in the investigation by diverting traffic at La Cienega, narrowly avoided being hit when a silver Lexus SUV failed to stop and crashed into a cruiser.
The driver was arrested. No one was injured in the accident, police said.
The Sig Alert was lifted around 5 a.m.