DA: No Assault Charges On Kings’ Drew Doughty
Los Angeles Kings CentralShop for Kings Gear
Buy Kings Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) – The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office decided Wednesday not to pursue charges against L.A. Kings’ defenseman Drew Doughty regarding allegations from a woman about an incident in Hermosa Beach on March 1.
Police investigated an allegded sexual assault claim filed by the woman who said she had been coerced into performing oral sex after meeting the athlete with his teammates at a party.
“At this time, there is insufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt,” said Deputy District Attorney Christi Frey.
Doughty, 22, has been with the Kings since the 2008-09 season and scored four goals in the 2011-12 Stanley Cup series against the New Jersey Devils.
Doughty’s attorney, Craig Renetsky, said his client was relieved and thankful to the Hermosa Beach Police Department for their careful investigation of the case, which began last March.
“Drew has consistently maintained that the allegations were baseless and unwarranted,” the attorney said. “Charges were never warranted in this case.”
He said he and Doughty had cooperated with police since the inception of the case.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)