29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

Redlands Boy, 6, Continues To Recover From Extremely Toxic Rattlesnake Bite

View Comments

CBS Los Angeles (con't)

Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSLA.com/ACA

Health News & Information: CBSLA.com/Health

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — A  six-year-old Redlands boy continues to struggle in his recovery efforts after suffering an extremely toxic rattlesnake bite while camping with family on July 4th.

Kara Finnstrom, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, spoke to the boy’s father about his son’s ordeal.

The Rivera family was enjoying a holiday outing near Camp Pendleton when disaster struck little Kaden.

Says Ken Rivera, “My son was chasing the dog. All of a sudden we heard a scream from out of the bushes. ‘I’ve been bit by a snake.'”

Posted signed warned of rattlers, so they rushed  Kaden to the ranger’s station.”Just from the time from the campsite to the ranger’s station, he was already foaming at the mouth, vomiting. He lost control of his muscles, and his limbs. He had a rash all over his face. He couldn’t breathe,” the boy’s father said.

Paramedics brought Kaden to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo.

Doctors immediately realized the boy was bitten by a particularly nasty and toxic rattler, the Mojave Green.

Officials say a unique neurotoxin in the snake’s venom affects the human nervous system and can cause paralysis.

“It took 42 vials of anti-venom just to stabilize him,” said the boy’s father. “Normally it would just take a few … depending on the snake.”

Kayden has stabilized but his foot is still swollen —  twice its normal size — and his thigh, so swollen, it is painful to the touch, according to Finnstrom.

The Rivera family is breathing a sigh of relief that Kaden is stable, but doctors say there are continual concerns about infection and loss of muscle use.

The boy is being transferred to another hospital where his treatment will continue.

View Comments
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,399 other followers