Fire Rages Through Beverly Park Mansion That Reportedly Belonged To ‘Real Housewife’
BEVERLY HILLS (CBS) — A large fire burned through the roof of a pricey mansion in a gated Beverly Hills community.
The multi-level French chateau home, complete with vaulted ceilings, recently belonged to “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Lisa Vanderpump and her husband, Ken Todd. It is located in Beverly Park, a neighborhood that many A-list celebrities call home.
The home was often showcased throughout the season, even as the couple’s daughter, Pandora, was planning to get married on the sprawling estate.
“I’m just shocked, really. It’s just been an incredible journey coming to America and living there, and my daughter got married in that house, so I’m really emotional about it even though I just sold it a few months ago,” Vanderpump told CBS2.
The two-story house, located in the exclusive Beverly Park neighborhood, reportedly sold last fall for nearly $19 million.
The new owners were out of town at the time of the fire.
More than 100 firefighters were sent to battle the blaze, which was reported at 6:30 p.m., according to Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department. By 7 p.m., the fire started to rip through the roof.
“Smoke everywhere, dark smoke…it was pretty scary, it was crazy,” said Beverly Park resident Alex Oberfeld.
Crews said they faced quite a challenge getting the fire under control.
“Driving up here, difficult to access,and that house is the size of a supermarket,” Los Angeles Fire Department deputy chief Mario Rueda said.
The blaze may have been sparked by ongoing construction work.
“They had workers working and, it appears, that it may have been accidental as a result of some decking they may have been doing,” Rueda said.
One firefighter was injured when a structural beam fell on his head. He was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Vanderpump said her biggest concern, above the house and possible damage, was the welfare of that firefighter.
The mansion suffered extensive damage but the home was not lost, firefighters said.