CHiPs For Kids: Come drop off a new, unwrapped toy to the Citadel Outlets from 11a-6p! | Holiday Toy Drive Drop-Off Locations | Photo Gallery

Video Of Alicia Silverstone Mouth-Feeding Baby Sparks Debate

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Would you feed your child food you’ve chewed first from your own mouth?

Many mothers and experts would say a resounding no — and maybe add a few emphatic expletives — but actress Alicia Silverstone has proudly posted video of herself doing just that with her son, Bear Blu, on her blog, The Kind Life.

The actress, best known for her role as Cher in the film “Clueless,” is on record as an advocate of veganism and animal rights. But is feeding her 10-month-old son from her mouth going a bit too far?

“I fed Bear the mochi and a tiny bit of veggies from the soup…from my mouth to his. It’s his favorite…and mine. He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I’m eating,” Silverstone wrote on her blog.

The practice of pre-chewing food is called premastication. Across the web, mothers are debating the practice, thanks to Silverstone’s video.

A BabyCenter.com commenter named Meggles said: “What Alicia is doing is called pre-chewing. It is practiced by mothers in developing countries who don’t have access to food processors. Some of these mothers inadvertently pass on diseases to their babies through pre-chewing. While I seriously doubt this is a concern for Alicia and her child, I do wonder why she’s doing it.”

“I think it’s patronizing to adopt practices from developing cultures simply because they’re from a more “natural” people. You know what I bet a mother from Africa would do if she had access to a food processor? I bet she’d use it,” she added.

According to Wikipedia, the practice does have some health benefits. Pre-chewing food lubricates it for better infant digestion, and also passes on disease-fighting immunities in the mother’s saliva. However, pre-chewing food also puts baby at risk for any diseases the mother might have, as well.

What do you think of pre-chewing your baby’s food?

Comments

1. Alanna says:

SO gross!!!!!! She is taking “The Kind Life” to a whole new level with this act. Someone needs to tell her that it’s okay to love animals but YOU Alicia are human!!! Go to target and buy a food processor! lol. Yuck.

2. Anonymous says:

So gross? This is natural, people. If you don’t have a kid, don’t comment. If you do have a child, you’re at a restraunt, you don’t have access to a food processor, and your infant is at the stage where he can eat but will vomit if the food is too big or too solid, this is a perfectly acceptable answer. Grow up.

1. Wally's girl says:

Wow, u r simple minded, can’t afford a food processor? Ur not talking about a mother In some third worldl country and this kid has teeth, lol. Get real!

1. Bob says:

Wow, reading comprehension fail? Where the heck did you get “can’t afford a food processor” from? Did you read the whole sentence?

2. It's a blur says:

Can’t afford can’t access same difference bob

3. Bob says:

…Um…

Can’t access a food processor while at a restuarant does not mean you can afford one. Read that sentence as a single scenario…

3. Jeeper says:

Where is the father of this child? If this is a single mother, that explains it all.

4. greg says:

Can’t afford and can’t access are NOT THE SAME, can’t access means I’m at a restaurant and they don’t have one for me to use, i’m camping and don’t have mine with me, etc. Can’t afford is obviously not the same

5. FidelityBraveryIntegirty says:

Damn…when i firsts saw this I was hoping she wasnt going to do it like birds do.

6. Jacqueline Rosado from Springfield mass says:

Keeper your an asso first of all, and for all you critics get a life. I don’t agree with what she is doing but it’s bonding she is doing with her child. Who cares about what she is doing? The media is even more dumb for making a story out of this like really? This is news? An actress feeding her kid? WHO CARES! I ll tell ya losers something they say 1 in 88 kids may be dx with autism from what use to be 110. This country depends way to much on fossil fuels, are kids are getting pregnant younger and younger, our economy sucks and the American dream is being lost. Everything in the USA is made in China. Our furniture is poorly made and Nikki Minaj and Lil Wayne are idolized! Grow up stupid Americans!

7. Jacqueline Rosado from Springfield mass says:

Jeeper, and our kids

8. Cindy says:

Maybe you should think ahead before going to the restaurant and then be reduced to chewing your babies food because you forgot you would have no access to a food processor! Besides, restaurants have food processors and blenders, they would probably be happy to speed blend/chop some food for a mother in a bind.
    As for camping, again it goes to planning in advance. What mother out there would think of taking off to go camping with a baby and didn’t pre-plan every single meal and snack ahead of time?!?
    As for Alicia Silverstone, hers is probably a conscious effort to generate controversy and curiosity about this premastication or whatever you call it.The more controversy and curiosity, the more she will be able to sell the maximum number of books possible. It’s called advertising, albeit in strange and unusual video clips of her chewing and then mouth to mouth feeding her son as well as curious justifications of the like.
    If she hasn’t already bonded with her son by ten months of age, this a an extremely odd way of making up for lost time.
    Mother of son, age 12.

9. Linda says:

Ok that is just wrong in so many ways!! What the hell is wrong with her? not only do u do something that gross but you post it. Ewww …….she is so nasty!!! And really people if u are in a restaurant!!!c I have four children and own a childcare……just mash the stuff up in your plate with a little liquid and there you go. I never, never would feed my child like that!!

10. Shannon Smith says:

Wow, Really?!?!?!This is disgusting. I have grown kids and a whole bunch of grandkids. I never had to chew any of the kids food first. I have had to maybe take a fork and knife and chop it up very finely for them, especially meat. But this is just disgusting!!!!!!

11. 1920x1080 says:

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i’m glad to show that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much no doubt will make certain to don?t disregard this web site and provides it a glance on a continuing basis.

12. plus de facebook fan says:

Magnificent put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don’t realize this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

13. c says:

i have 2 kids and that isn’t sanitary i would never do that and I am a mother that breastfed for 18 months okay…. If I am at a restaurant i am not going to chew my kids food and then handed to them.. I am going to get a fork and a knife and cut it into tiny pieces then use my fork to cut it even more……

14. c says:

i wonder if there is any flavor left at all for the baby once it gets from her mouth to his… that is nasty poor baby. They have all kinds of natural organic unprocessed baby food out there why do this?……. I don’t get it.

15. plus de facebook like says:

It is perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this publish and if I could I want to recommend you few fascinating things or advice. Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to read even more issues about it!

16. CNN says:

My mom use to do this with me and my siblings. While my mother never fed it to me directly from her mouth, I don’t see a problem with it. Your just helping a baby break up their food.

17. house additions says:

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i am satisfied to convey that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I so much certainly will make sure to don?t omit this web site and give it a look on a relentless basis.