Coroner Says Cocaine Use Contributed To Whitney Houston’s Death

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Cocaine was found in Whitney Houston’s system when she died, according to the final report from the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

The report, which was released Thursday, determined Houston’s final cause of death to be from drowning, the effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine intake. The report said that her manner of death was an accident.

A toxicology report found that cocaine and metabolites were identified in Houston’s system and contributed to her death. Other drugs, including marijuana, Xanax, Flexeril and Benadryl were also identified, but did not contribute to Houston’s death, according to the report.

Houston, 48, was found submerged in a bathtub filled with water in her Beverly Hilton hotel room on Feb. 11, the day before the Grammys.

No trauma or foul play was suspected, the report concludes. A bad heart and chronic cocaine abuse were the likely causes for Houston to become submerged in the bath water, said the report.

Patricia Houston, the singer’s sister-in-law and manager, said in a statement, “We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results, although we are glad to now have closure.”

The coroner previously confirmed that prescription pill bottles were found in her room, but “not in alarming amounts,” according to People.com. Cocaine was not found in Houston’s hotel room.

Houston reportedly ingested cocaine just before she slipped under the water, according to the findings. “We know that when she slipped under the water, she was still alive. We have evidence of drowning. There was water in the lungs and that substantiates that finding.”

The report says alcohol did not play a factor in Houston’s death.

Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said the precise amounts of toxins found in Houston’s body will be available in the final report, which is expected to be completed in about two weeks.

Houston had a long history of substance abuse problems. She and then-husband Bobby Brown were arrested in 2000 at a Hawaii airport with marijuana.

The singer was last in rehab in May 2011, but was reportedly seen in the days before her death acting erratically.

The coroner’s office concluded if Houston didn’t have a preexisting heart condition and history of cocaine use “she may not have drowned.”

It remains unclear if detectives are looking to identify the supplier of Houston’s cocaine.

»COMPLETE COVERAGE: Whitney Houston

Comments

1. Joke says:

So she wasn’t a Crack Ho…..

1. Mr, blue says:

YO MOTHER IS A CRACK HO……

2. marc says:

well crack is a form of coke so tech speakin she would still qual as a crack ho

3. So WHAT says:

What a dope. Typical behavior in this breed. She deserves it.

1. Lyndia says:

what happened to elvis and the belushi guy? same thing

2. YES says:

Putz………

3. Debbie says:

What exactly do you mean by “this breed”? I hope you mean human being, because stars of all races have been known to use drugs!!Elvis Presley, Jim Morrison,Dana Plato, John Bellushi and too many more to name. So once again, what breed would you be referring to?

4. Whiskey Tango says:

Crack Ho mudflap.

2. Brian says:

Shocking…coke and prescription drugs. Hard to believe…

3. Me says:

Paint me Surprised……

1. bathtimemommaYATES says:

Wish my drug-addict husband would take a fatal BATH.

4. P.C. says:

So you want us to believe that a dope addict had dope in her system? What did you expect? Candy?

5. Eddie Yount says:

drugs don’t usually contribute to someone’s death when they are drowning because they are stoned on Xanax, pot and coke…have a nice day.

1. DDR says:

Excuse me, but do you have “M.E.” after your name?

1. Eddie Yount says:

o sorry guess you were there then right?

2. RN says:

Eddie: Let me help you out, stupid. “The cause of death to be from drowning, the effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine intake.” This means the cocaine induced a heart attack and she died drowning, probably too weak to pull herself out due to the coronary issues going on.

1. Eddie Yount says:

your the one thats stuiped have a nice day

6. Bill Terrence says:

@joke…She was not a Crack “Ho,”, however, she was a Crack addict. Cut her a little slack, Jack.

7. gthing says:

Coke head and all you people thought oh poor Whitney! That dumb pile of trash brought it upon herself.

1. Come on says:

So you the judge and jury huh — think you are the piece of trash here. I know you are
      I am not nor ever was a fan of hers. I do know firsthand that being an addict is a tough road, tougher for some than others. I have 21 years of sobriety but trust me – a day doesn’t go by when I don’t wish I couldn’t ….

Guess you are God or a higher power as you jusdge so freely.
      My thoughts – may your glass house hit have a rock sent its way.

1. jkl says:

Your are correct Come On. It is a tough road, but she brought it on herself. There is never any reason to start cocaine use. None whatsoever. Pepole of Whitney’s age should know the problems that can arise for usage, and if she choose to use cocaine, she got what she deserved.

2. jkl says:

Also, other drugs, including marijuana, Xanax, Flexeril and Benadryl were also identified, but did not contribute to her death. All that means is that the total quantity of these drugs was not sufficiently high to kill her. But still to have all that in your body is not good

2. guess who says:

your next ass wipe!

1. YES says:

Your a putz “guess who”……….

8. Average Gal says:

Whitney died of a cocaine-induced HEART ATTACK.

Surprised me, I thought someone (other than herself) killed her and the death would be ruled a murder.

STAY AWAY FROM ILLEGAL DRUGS AND ADDICTIONS TO PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.

9. Lst's Parta says:

Congrats to Whitney almost 2 months sober now!

1. Ray J tape to follow says:

Lol tooo funny.Now that was a good one.

1. david says:

ill drink to that……..

2. Mr, blue says:

ASS HOLE……..

3. Lloyd says:

That, sir/madam, made me laugh out loud.

Two thumbs up!!!

10. Linder says:

Unbelievable talent, looks, presence, acting ability and the ability to make much money,…why did she do ths to her self. She had everything people dream about. including a beautiful family and daughter. It was as if she was wishing her death. Really tragic!!

1. GBL says:

Fame is a curse.

11. Half Mast says:

Wonder if NJ’s Governor feels dumb about the half-mast flags and honoring a drug self induced overdose.

12. stan atkinson says:

Duh! ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! Ya think?!!!!

13. JES says:

FREE DR MURRAY, YEAH I KNOW, IT’S OLD BUT I BELIEVE MICHEAL DID A SIMILAR THING TO THIS AND DR MURRAY WAS CHARGED JUST TO GIVE SOMEONE THE BLAME …THIS WORLD IS SICK

14. Save Ourselves says:

Hey America ! Are you paying attention to this ! Controlled substance abuse and a lack of health and fitness will cut short one’s life. America’s dependency on controlled substances continues to escalate. Kids are taking up the “hobby” and I have to ask why their parents aren’t exerting more control, except the parent participates in recreational drug workouts too.

More proof the American culture is sliding into extinction if we don’t get smarter. All those digital devices are making dope deals easier and faster than making intelligent thinkers. Its all about heath and fitness. Get Strong, Move Fast, Live Long

1. Average Gal says:

“Get Strong. Move Fast. Live Long.”

When the person’s mind is gone, it makes no difference…

15. KOBE24 says:

Can’t say I saw this coming…..

16. TELLIN IT IS LIKE IT IS says:

YOU WOULD THINK WITH ALL HER MONEY,SHE WOULD LEARN HOW TO SWIM

1. david says:

think she left her life preserver in the other room

2. Mr, blue says:

SOME TIMES EVEN THE RICH AND BRIGHTEST COULD GET TRICKED BY SATAN……

17. what a joke says:

And look at all the hype she got…everyone saying how great she was…

1. Mr, blue says:

CHECK OUT HER RESUME ASS HOLE. THE WOMAN HAD TALENT. JUST LIKE YOUR ELVIS……..

1. Brett says:

But they BOTH ended up DEAD sooner than they should have. So, your point is, EXACTLY??

18. rayboy says:

Cocaine is God’s punishment for having too much money !!!

1. Average Gal says:

What’s the punishment for too little money?

1. John says:

Crack.

2. Mr, blue says:

WHAT ABOUT POOR PEOPLE THAT BECOME ADDICTS?????

19. Sara says:

Ugly people on the inside and out making comments on this site about Whitney…vile human beings.

20. Hardmoney says:

I almost drowned in my bathtub once, then I sat up. It was a close one!

1. SF resident says:

The only time i lied down in a bath tub is to masterb8!

1. YES says:

sweet…….

21. bdj says:

Whitney may have sung like an angel, but she paid the devil’s price to do it.

22. susan says:

it is very sad that her life ended as it did..the nasty remarks are really not called for no matter how much you like or disliked her and her lifestyle..the coroners report says she drowned,and had a heart condition as well as substances in her system…i t is pretty obvious she passed out in the warm water of the tub and went under….

1. CANDACE says:

I agree with you and I always lean towards taking a compassionate position instead of judging. I never took drugs, but I think people take drugs to experience euphoria because they cannot experience it naturally. I also think addictions are based in low self esteem. Happiness and peace are within and unfortunately people seek it from without. . .

23. moterhed says:

I dropped my Clark bar…..

24. Average Gal says:

Whitney’s REAL cause of Death:

BOBBY BROWN

1. Mr, blue says:

NOT EXACTLY…. BOBBY BROWN MAY HAD ALOT TO DO WITH SUPPLYING HER ADDICTION, BUT IT WAS WITNEY HER SELF THE BLAME FOR SAYING O.K.

1. Brett says:

Agreed.

2. Average Gal says:

Aside from physically abusing Whitney, being controlling and possessive of Whitney’s career…I’m sure there were good times in between the punches.

Bobby lead Whitney to crack cocaine. NO spouse who values the other and truly cares, leads the other spouse to illegal hardcore drugs.

25. non says:

Whitney must now feel pretty good being stone cold sober

1. Mr, blue says:

NON, YOUR A SUPPER ASS HOLE

26. charma says:

You may not drown, but you will die one day. After you die is when you need to worry!

27. robert says:

Oh, what a shocking revelation !!! Now, all you fools, stop idolizing celebrities.

28. charma says:

It feels tgood to know you have never spoken ill of people and fans going through personal tragedies.. Always a lady that said what she meant andmeant what she said. While Whitney was minding her own business you are criticizing this lady like you were born perfect. You need Jesus!

29. ryan says:

I totally agree Santa!! Crime rate my drop now just a tad too

30. Susan M says:

And when your time comes what will people say?

Who cares? Just another mean nasty bigot.

1. Susan M says:

Looks like “Santa’s” nasty comment was removed? Good!

31. Lloyd says:

John and Ken were right. You folks owe them an apology.

32. Brett says:

This junkie was so effed up, she couldn’t even save herself from drowning in a BATHTUB. Do most of you understand how STUPID THAT SOUNDS??

I’m describing a VEGETABLE, a PLANT, someone who was once so talented, but couldn’t even think as straight as a well raised 5 or 6 year old, and couldn’t even use the excuse that she was “old” or suffered from alzheimers, parkinsons, or some other “older” disease.

The bottom line is,is that SHE chose to throw it ALL AWAY, so I have little sympathy to throw back. Where was Oprah the last 10 YEARS?? If Oprah wouldn’t help her, why should I??

33. Frank Rizzo says:

mr blue got issues

1. Mr, blue says:

NO ISSUES… I JUST DONT CARE FOR THOSE WHO TALK DOWN TO THOSE WHO CANT DEFEND THEMSELVES……. NOW TELL ME HOW IS THAT HAVING ISSUES////

1. Frank Rizzo says:

fruityass

2. Mr, blue says:

GAYBOY……….

34. Brett says:

I’m just GLAD to hear that cigarettes didn’t kill her. Has a kind of irony to it, doncha thnk??

35. MrClean says:

Did not know that such people bathed. Interesting.

1. Mr, blue says:

MR. INTELLIGENT YOU MUST HAVE GRADUATED AT THE TOP OF THE ASS CLASS…. RIGHT!!!

36. Jason says:

These comments really have me shaking my head. I feel sorry for the people making this a racial issue. Addiction, unlike some of these “commentators”, does not discriminate. Everyone commenting on this article has known someone who has dealt with addiction in one way or another whether it be a friend or family member or even themselves. You would be lying if you said you didn’t. Shock value comments make we wonder who is still up past their bedtime. Also, you need not look to Hollywood for this story. It’s happening in your neighborhood, in your city everyday. So hid behind your screen names and leave your cute comments. As minor as they may be I need only be reminded of the people leaving them and how minor THEY are. Sleep well children.

1. Mr, blue says:

RONALD, THAT MUST BE YOU…WOW, YOU GOT TALENT MAN….YOUR GOING TO GO PLACES. THE MONEY YOUR GOING TO MAKE,,,,WOW….

37. nando says:

for those addiced to fame and bias: leave the lady alone–at least she chose how to die; you won’t…will die of stupidity

38. America Is Obsessed With Garbage says:

CRACK WOULD TEST POSITIVE AS COCAINE. AND WHY WE ARE STILL DISCUSSING THIS WASTED CHICK IS BEYOND ME AND TO THOSE THAT ARE SURPRISED BY THIS HAVE BEEN IN A COMA CUZ SHE WAS A KNOWN CRACKHEAD DRUG ADDICT FOR 20 YEARS.

39. Charlie Sheen's Crack Pipe Amusement Park says:

CRACK, COKE, BLOW IT’S ALL THE SAME AND SHE BOUGHT IT BY THE SUITCASE FULL. THAT’S A SERIOUS PARTY GIRL BUT SHE GONE NOW OH WELL BYE.

40. marc says:

if she had a heart issue and took drugs then i would say the drugs and heart attack are the cause of death because they caused her to drown

41. Lizwfecesface says:

Whitney Who?

42. Amarise says:

They FOUND cocaine & prescription drugs in her system…It didnt say ANYTHING about THAT killing her…It was from PAST usage and the fact her PAST USAGE that caused HEART DISEASE…Which the HEART DISEASE is what took her life….

43. bee narr ger says:

Whifney huston died. O prah is to blame. O prah only care aboot cocaine and not prescription drug. X anax is to blame with al cohol. O prah exploits you. She has much money that she make from pharmacutical revenue. O prah is a tru definition of the word Nee Gir. Seh use chalky money from wite skin cra kas. She make luv to Bush of Jorge W. While o bama and wives watch. C b s has video whcih the head executives use to master b8.

44. Lyndia says:

some of you are perfect people, right? WELL NONE OF YOU ARE PERFECT

45. Lyndia says:

I BET YOU WOULD NOT SAY THAT TO MY FACE.

1. George Bush says:

Whitney was just so stupid and ghetto, it is amazing she lived as long as she did.

46. Ily Michael says:

What a rude and uncaring bunch! You are surprised that people turn to addictions when there is no compassion around? This is exactly what is wrong with the world today…you have no heart!

47. legal matter says:

I just like the helpful info you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and test once more here regularly. I am relatively sure I will be informed lots of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

48. ipad 3 says:

hello there and thank you for your information ? I’ve definitely picked up anything new from proper here. I did however experience a few technical issues the usage of this site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I have been thinking about if your web hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently have an effect on your placement in google and can injury your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could glance out for a lot extra of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this once more soon..

49. Owen says:

This sometimes consists of full funding of all tuition and charge expenses, plus a living stipend, in exchange for both educating or research.