Police Shoot Armed Carjacking Suspect At Gas Station In Koreatown

KOREATOWN (CBS) — Authorities fatally shot an armed carjacking suspect after chasing him through the streets of Hollywood and the Mid-Wilshire area Thursday night.

The suspect reportedly stole a car earlier in the day in San Bernardino. Police said he then drove to the Lincoln Heights area, where he carjacked another car at Eastern Avenue and Valley Boulevard at 6:16 p.m., Los Angeles Police Officer Gregory Baek said.

The suspect caught the attention of police officers on the 60 Freeway, near the 710 Freeway, when he refused to make a traffic stop.

The driver fled from police on the Ventura (101) freeway and exited at Hollywood Boulevard, where he momentarily pulled to a stop in the middle of the street at 7:10 p.m. The driver then continued westbound to the busy intersection of Hollywood and Highland, where he turned south onto Highland Avenue.

At that point, the suspect was slowed by heavy traffic.

At times, it appeared as if the suspect was speaking with people walking on the sidewalk.

car chase 120223 3 Police Shoot Armed Carjacking Suspect At Gas Station In Koreatown

(credit: CBS)

The suspect kept driving down Highland to the residential area of Hancock Park and then eastbound on Wilshire Boulevard in Koreatown.

Emergency dispatchers reported that the man driving the vehicle was carrying a blue steel handgun.

Authorities reportedly said that they did not use any technique, such as a PIT maneuver, to aggressively stop the suspect because he was armed. Each time the driver appeared to stop officers have remained ready to act, with doors open and guns drawn.

The suspect eventually pulled into a Shell gas station, alongside a civilian pumping gas into his Cadillac, at the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue.

Police said that’s when they saw the suspect waving his gun in a threatening manner and pointing it towards innocent people at the gas station.

Officers responded by shooting several rounds into the suspect’s car, as the civilian lay crouched on the ground just feet away. The bystander, identified as Harry Hahn, escaped the situation uninjured and spoke to CBS2 about the shooting.

“I saw a guy with a gun behind my car and after that the police came,” Hahn said. “Police said, ‘Just go down!'”

When asked if he saw the suspect get shot Hahn said, “I could not see anything.”

Hahn continued, “I cannot go to my car right now. [Police] said maybe in a half hour.”

Dispatchers said the suspect, a 40-year-old man, had suffered several gunshot wounds and died. Officers pulled the man from the car and, moments later, covered his body with a sheet.

At least 10 police cars surrounded the area as dozens of people stood watching nearby. There is a red line Metro stop at that intersection.

Comments

1. Anono says:

TELL the heli guy to pull the mic out of his mouth!!!!!

1. CADILLACESCALADE says:

THE BEST AND CHEAPEST WAY TO END ALL VIOLENT POLICE CHASES IS JUST THE WAY THIS ONE ENDED. SHOOT THE GUY/CHICK IN THE HEAD AND THEN ASK QUESTIONS LATER!

SAVES ROOM IN THE PRISONS FOR THE CHESTERS AND TAX EVADERS! ALWAYS PACK HEAT IN ONE HAND AND AN EXTRA CLIP IN THE OTHER HAND. SHOOT EM UP ALL DAY LONG, YAY!!!! =)

1. Rick says:

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. MIKE says:

shoot,handcuffed,tagged and bagged

3. Lion says:

Another POS criminal gets what he deserves. Too bad we have to go through hell to get firearms in this state to defend ourselves from this trash. This is the filth we are dealing with all over America these days. We are morally bankrupt, financially bankrupt and spiritually bankrupt.

The coffers are being depleted by incompetent idiots. It ain’t gonna last much longer folks… just my $0.02. Cali is going down first.

2. Leo says:

absolutly rediculous that you guys made this stupid car chase breaking news…typical media making something out of nothing…nobody cares to watch this and listen to commentaters babble on about nothing…

1. Mark Panitz says:

they do it for public safety not because its news

2. KL says:

This was a shoot-out at a gas station near my HOME. I walked right by there 10 min before it happened. Yes,this is news.

3. MICHAEL says:

THE PRUSIT ENDED THE GUYS DEAD

1. Louis says:

CALL of DUTY STYLE.

4. MICHAEL says:

THE CHASE PASSED BY MY HOUSE ON THE 60 WEST BOUND

5. Dude says:

Guilty,,,,,,no Trial neccesary

6. Joe says:

I wonder if the guy had a drivers license.

1. Louis says:

Yeah he did Joe, but no Drivers Insurance.

1. Life says:

How about life insurance

2. Joe says:

He could have called The General and got insurance over the phone.

7. melissa says:

Totally un called for, bad decision of the cops. Shot and killed the man , could have killed the innocent at the gas station . They could have blown up the the whole damn station. Again a real stupid call by the LAPD.

1. Country Rock says:

Nice well placed shots. Great job! Good job in delaying rescue/ambulance. It was great just letting dummy die. No trial. Only Familia will probably sue. So dang typical of these types.

1. Louis says:

You Got My Vote Country Rock.

2. mike says:

what type are you refering to country rock cowboy??

3. NOTAFANOFSTUPIDITY says:

You are really STUPID

4. mike says:

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection. I’m such a puS$y dumbf**k with nothing to say I post to myself.

I’ll use your screen name next, puS$y d!cklips

Why isn’t anyone paying attention to me when I hijack these screen names to show I’m a puS$y dumbf**k loser

2. Louis says:

Hey Melissa are you related to him ??? Maybe you forgot he Carjack somebody do you know what that means? That coud have been one of your family members that this guy Carjacked, he had a Gun in the Car, he was pointing it at the Police, he most likely did it again and they SMOKED his ASS. CALL of DUTY STYLE.

1. Rooney says:

There’s no proof of any of that. They slaughtered the guy. They could have pit maneuvered him earlier. This was totally wrong. I’m married to a retired dep sheriff and he said they didn’t have to go that far. Just shameful. Judge when the entire truth comes out..

2. Louis says:

Yeh Right like we are suppose to take the word coming from a Deputy Sheriff as much mess that they have done in the past RIGHT !!!

3. Ben says:

Rooney your retired hubby should know better than to Monday morning quarter back.

4. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Rooney…are you actually saying that there is no proof that this idiot carjacked two different people? Ok so i suppose that is a lie. The police are making that up. Its a conspiracy right?

3. Debi says:

YES very uncalled for – I don’t think the Police handled this correctly and would bet that there is going to be a lot going on with this case. EXTREME methods to get to this guy – and not to mention the innocent bystanders!!! Shameful!

1. Louis says:

Debi this Guy that was driving the stolen Car pulled a Gun on someone, that could have been your Family member he did that to, and then took the Car, plus he was branishing the Gun towards the Police. If he had did that to one of your Family members would you still be saying shooting him was uncalled for? L.A.P.D finest did what they should have done . CALL of DUTY STYLE.

2. Debi says:

LOUIS – I know it could have been any one of us, and/or family members, I am upset that they did this with an innocent man on the other side of the vehicle. Endangering a innocent person. As I stated previously – only the officers there at the time know what was best to do, but removing the INNOCENT people should have been a FIRST priority while keeping their weapons sighted on the suspect!

3. bob says:

Ok miss.

I am trusting that you are a professional when it comes to these matters. PLEASE explain to Joe Public (or Bob Public) how these events should have taken place.

I really am curious. Dude uses a gun to take a car from somebody, then drives up to a guy pumping gas. I might be in error here, but I really dont think saying “please” is going to remedy this situation…

4. Ben says:

Debbie

You, as someone I am assuming does not do the job, was worried about the innocent man pumping gas. Fine. In your eyes you think the police should not have done that

The police, who do this everyday, was also worried about the innocent man pumping gas.

You see Debbie because the suspect was waving his gun around and if he started shooting that innocent man and the police just stood there, what are you gonna say? What if this innocent man turned out to be this suspect’s third victim?

The innocent man states he saw the guy with the gun. Case closed.

4. Juan says:

Yeah that’s true, and the sad part is the paramedics took to long to show up and the guy died

5. gil says:

your right girl that tells you how the pd handles theses kind of problems we are not save I would be damaged for the rest of my life if I was the guy pumping fuel

6. tony says:

i agree hundred percent and also there were many other ways to deal with that situation other then sooting 50 rounds iby the gas pump

1. SAM says:

YUP I AGREE HOW MANY SHOTS DOES IT TAKE TO KILL SOMEONE TRIGGER HAPPY PIGS ……KARMA IS B>.TCH……

2. bob says:

how did several rounds turn into 50?

3. Louis says:

Let’s See Tony Your Right !!! Their are other ways the officer could and should have handled it, Like walking up to his Passenger Window when he stopped at the Gas Station and saying “SIR…MAY I SEE YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AND REGISTRATION …PLEASE…ALONE WITH YOUR INSURANCE” Your right he should have used that tactic approach on hi.m…YEAH RIGHT !!!

7. jay says:

You are a moron…shoot him and that takes care of the schmuck…it is over!

8. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Thats not how bullets work fool.

9. Ken O says:

well done LAPD!!!

8. Country Rock says:

Now the dead man’s famila will have a car wash to pay for his funeral then try and sue LAPD. So typical.

1. cedeston says:

actually were not having a car wash for his funeral

9. Louis says:

GO AHEAD PUNK !!! MAKE MY DAY !!! Well he did make their Day L.A.P.D. Style they did a CALL of DUTY on his A _ S !!! Oh Well, No Lost to Society. You have a Gun in your Car and you Carjacked the Car, He had it coming to him. Again Oh Well.

1. Nick says:

The cops can only shoot once he discharges his weapon. They shot several rounds into his vehicle. Not just hand guns. Shot guns and who knows what else. They probably would have shot him with an RPG if they had one. Very uncalled for. Lots of officers should lose their jobs. All I hear on the news is “Suspect is THOUGHT to be armed. ” They aren’t even sure.

1. Robert Campbell says:

Not true…police can shoot if they reasonably believe their life or that of another is in jeopardy. If someone points a gun at you, as an officer, do I need to wait until you pull the trigger?! Of course not. …Oh and I heard the suspect had pointed a gun at the owner of the car so yeah, I think he was armed!

2. bob says:

who told you that lie?
        Info: Violent criminal, used a weapon to take away a car (that means he is ready to KILL someone), could care less about the public and pulled up next to a citizen and who knows what he would have done. Could have taken him hostage.

You are the EXACT person who would be yelling “they should have shot him so they wouldnt have a hostage situation” or “If i were there then this this and this would happen”.

Good job blue

3. Astonished says:

Nick;

And you know how many and what types of weapons were fired by police? Were you there? As for not being sure about the gun, HE WAS WAVING OUT THE WINDOW OF THE SATURN AS THE FLED!!! HE WAS WAVING AROUND IN THE GAS STATION.! How much more proof do you need? Trust me those officers were very sure he was armed.

Oh, but then, he could probably have shot someone and you’d still doubt he had a gun.

Pathetic.

10. Rooney says:

Those cops just slaughtered the guy. Shameful! I hope the innocent bystander is ok. I can’t believe the newspeople love this. I was hoping it would have ended better than this. Only in Los Angeles.

1. Debi says:

I so agree with you – this is beyond horrible! KCAL 9 decided to state that the Police shielded the innocent bystander and got him away safely — all I saw the the man crawling away himself! Way to go KCAL – don’t report that the Police could have had more than one person dead!

1. Louis says:

Debi the guy that was pumping his gas got on the ground, he was never in the line of Fire, look at the Video, and one Police Officer was next to the guy that was on the ground which he never shot a round from his Gun.

2. Rose says:

Totally, this was way to dangerous for the rest of the population, I live close by and walked by the gas station just 30minutes before the shooting. Not only did the police risk people at the gas station such as the witness who could be hurt or killed, they also risked other people walking by.Also gas station could just blow up. This is not the Wild West, it supposed to be a civilized country, but I’m not sure anymore….. There are cleaner ways to disarm a suspect, what is next machine guns?????

2. bob says:

how is shooting a guy with a gun a slaughter? do you think we pay the cops to duke it out in cage matches and have quickdraw competitions in the middle of the street?

Last I checked there arent too many tumble weeds in LA, no more real cowboys and when a guy with a gun uses it in a crime and then threatens the life of officers, well then I am guessing that guy is probably going to get shot.

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

AMEN!

11. Debi says:

I cannot believe this – he wasn’t shooting at anyone, why UNLOAD their gun? And the poor innocent man – according to you KCAL 9 you stated that a Police officer covered him and took him to safety. WRONG – the man crawled out of the way himself.

SOMETHING is very wrong with this – and I am a Cops kid, but this is too extreme! I know that the Police officers must fear for their lives in order to fire back, but I didn’t see anyone shooting but the Police, was there no other way to end this????

1. Rooney says:

You’re right Debi. The poor man had to save himself. It was handled very poorly.

2. bob says:

You are a sheltered cops kid. Your old man did good with you miss, he kept the evils of his job away from home. He sounds like a good man.

Who unloaded their weapon? I didnt see anyone reloading. I am only guessing that after someone “unloads” their weapon they are going to want to reload it. Ask your dad if he has to wait until someone with a gun aims and shoots at him before he has to fire back; or ask him if a guy with a gun, who used that gun in a violent crime (car jacking and robbery are violent crimes ESPECIALLY when a gun is involved) pulls up to a citizen and if he would allow a hostage situation…

Remember miss, when someone pulls a gun on you and demands your property/robs/mugs/threatens you with it, that person has made up his/her mind that they WILL kill you if need be.

I understand that your point of view is that its a shame somebody had to lose their life, and that life is sacred. But the alternative could have been an injured or killed officer or a citizen, a hostage situation with that man pumping gas and that man could have possibly lost his life. Its a hard thing to see, being that we avg joes/janes arent really capable of this kind of violence; but the alternative- dead citizen and dead officers- is UNACCEPTABLE

12. Cesar Serrano says:

He is dead!!!!!!!!!! No need for an ambulance!!!!!!!!!!11

13. Denise says:

The things ppl say to get attention smh it was breaking news for a reason to save innocent ppl.they do get out and run into ppl houses

14. Gdog says:

Good thing hes dead. The cost of a trial would be astronomical. Taxpayers rejoice!

1. NOTAFANOFSTUPIDITY says:

HOW STUPID CAN YOU IDIOTS REALLY BE??? DON’T YOU KNOW THERE ARE LAWS THAT EVERYBODY, INCLUDING COPS, MUST ABIDE BY? AND A PRETTY GOOD REASON FOR THEM ALSO. I KNOW THAT A FAIRLY HIGH PERCENT OF YOU ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN’T BE ALLOWED FREE USE OF THE COMPUTER) SO I’LL SAY THIS REAL SLOW…..” IF ITS OKAY FOR THESE COPS TO KILL A SUSPECT THIS TIME, THEN BEFORE LONG THEY’LL BE SHOOTING PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE THEY ‘THOUGHT’ THEY SAW A GUN. YOU CAN’T OKAY IT SOMETIMES AND NOT OTHER TIMES. THE LINE HAS TO BE DRAWN SOMEWHERE. i AM NOT SAYING THE GUY SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED, BUT THESE COPS CROSSED THE LINE WHEN THEY BECAME JUDGE, JURY AND EXECUTIONER.
      EVERY HUMAN BEING HAS A RIGHT TO BE TRIED FOR THEIR CRIMES, AND NOT CRIMES THAT THEY MIGHT COMMIT. YEAH THAT CARJACKER STOLE A CAR, OR TWO, HE MIGHT HAVE KILLED SOMEBODY. HE DIDNT THOUGH, YET HIS PUNISHMENT WAS MORE SEVERE THAN RAPISTS AND CHILD KILLERS SITTING IN PRISON. IS THAT FAIR??? POLICE CAN’T PLAY GOD. THEY’RE JUST POLICE.

1. Astonished says:

Quit shouting at everyone, your hurting yourself. Oh, and PLEASE stop reading those dreadful conspiracy novels. If your therory about police were true, they would have begun doing it decades ago when they were far less regulated then they are now.

Please, come in out of that alternative universe and have a dose of reality. It will do you good.

2. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

YOU ARE A MORON…PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

3. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

@ Mikey….what in the hell are you talking about?

15. Country Rock says:

So what! He’s a goner. The cops will live another day, to enjoy beers, river, girlfriends. Good Job!

How old are you 12?

2. VANESSA says:

DO YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS!!!!! DID’NT THINK SO!!!!

16. BeeVee says:

Great LIVE television! LAPD put 20-rounds into that guy.

Wish all pursuits ended like this!

1. yooo says:

i know right! this was prolly the best chase i seen i na while!

17. VANESSA says:

MORE COPS THAT ARE TRIGGER HAPPY NEED TO BE TAKEN OFF THE STREETS, COPS THAT SHOOT THAT MUCH ARE VERY ANGRY COPS.

1. Gdog says:

Vanessa you are ignorant. The criminal was a danger to the people at the station. 20 shots is no different than 9 shots- he was hit and killed and the cops are heroes. Praise Jesus!

1. Debi says:

You must be one of those BORN AGAIN Christians – the Lord doesn’t not want HARM to any of his Children – – no one should be able to pick and choose who gets shot and 20 shots is EXCESSIVE

2. Rooney says:

You’re nuts Gdog and I mean totally out of it.

3. VANESSA says:

Gdog,YOU ARE IGNORANT.DON’T USE JESUS NAME IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT STANDS FOR STUPID!!!!

4. Debi says:

Liberal Californians …

5. LOU says:

YOU A ARE THE IGNORANT ONE USING JESUS NAME ON THIS STUPID ACTION , WHEN THIS GUY PASSED ME ON THE 101 HE LOOKED MORE SCARED THAN ANYTHING HE HAD A BUNCH OF DIRTY POLICE BEHIND HIM IM SHURE THE LESS THING HE WANTS TO DO IS POINT A GUN AT THE POLICE

6. Louis says:

You Have My Vote On That Gdog. : )

2. Juan says:

Yeah they need therapy

1. OKEIMA VALENTINIO says:

I AGRRE GDOG YU ARE ON SOMEDTHING ELSE, YOU MUST BE UNDERAGED, OR DRUNK! LOL

3. bob says:

Those werent trigger happy cops. If you get 10 cops and each one shoots 2 rounds you are going to get 20 rounds going to where the “bad thing” is. Last I checked cops carry clips of 15 or so rounds, that would mean if there were about 10 cops there then 150+/- rounds would have hit that car. There would be reloading and then they would have used that ammo up until they had nothing.

THAT is trigger happy. All those shots happened within milliseconds of each other, then abruptly stopped. I think COPS called it contagious fire, where a bunch of guys on a line about to engage a threat and then a shot is heard and they all engage at once. I wonder if its because they think someone else fired and they didnt want to get hit or have one of their guys get hit, so they fired, because I doubt the police have a “designated shooter”. It seems to be a very “oh snaps!” kind of response to that kind of situation. Seeing that the rounds hit the bad guy, I would think that firing was pretty controlled otherwise you would have holes in houses all around the neighborhood.

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

@ LOU…..SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

NAW….Just a hole in Debi’s head.

18. kimobo3 says:

Another display of excessive force from the LAPD and they did nothing to protect the innocent civilian that was crouched down on the other side of his car during the shooting. Luckily no one else was hurt other than the guy they shot dead.

1. Debi says:

Exactly – and yet KCAL9 states on TV – Police shielded the innocent man to get him to safety. HELLO – the poor man crawled by himself to safety – way to go LAPD – not helping the innocent!

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Thought you were told to be quiet….

2. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

kimobo….next time we’ll have them use you as a shield for the innocent civilian…sound good?

19. Dude says:

I want to go to the river! @Debi: Poor innocent, my @$$. Armed, Carjacking & threatening Police with a the firearm. Really, what planet are you freaking liberals from??

1. Debi says:

Hey butt wiper – If you re-read what I posted, I am talking about the INNOCENT MAN PUMPING GAS – he had NOTHING to do with it. Can’t you read ENGLISH? KCAL9 just said on TV that the POLICE shielded the innocent man pumping gas and helped him to safety – – that is what I am talking about. Are you FREAKING SMOKING AGAIN?

1. Gdog says:

Good thing he wipes his butt Debi. You don’t? Ewwwww……get away you stink…….

2. Dude says:

MY bad,,,,can we a agree the suspect got what he deserved,,,,and that the innocent is probably thanking the cops for protecting him from being kidnapped and carjacked???

3. bob says:

so the innocent guy is the issue? then shouldnt you be madder at the bad guy for putting that innocent man in that situation?

2. Debi says:

I am upset that anyone is threatened with and/or without a weapon, and that people are killed. Innocent people being put into the line of fire was WRONG, and the Police could have kept their weapons sighted on the guy, and got the innocent people out of the way FIRST. Then do what they have to do, only they (the officers) there at the scene know the true facts.

However for KCAL9 to keep saying on TV that the Police SHIELDED the innocent man and got him to safety is only to boost their ratings, we watched it, that is NOT what happened. That type of false reporting is why people do not like the journalists and/or News stations.

1. Rooney says:

You’re right with everything you say Debi. The cops get all pumped up and lose their direction, We’re played it over a few times and the cops were totally wrong and I hope that man files a report against the police.

2. bob says:

In a perfect world:
        – cop aims at bad guy, cop yells at bad guy to cooperate
        – innocent man in way is escorted to safety by a big strapping LAPD officer with his hair and cape flowing in the wind
        – bad guy surrenders
        – everyone else goes home, coppers get a metal, they go to the bar and say “wow sft. omally that was a close one this time” then sgt o’mally would say something like “o boys, yer all growin up to be fine officers”
        – yadda yadda yadda …and scene

BUT UNFORTUNATELY said world does not exist. You get a violent man with a gun who committed a violent crime and he pulls into a gas station with an innocent bystander in the way. All you can do is tell the man to stay low and try to go to the officers. If the bad guy with a gun makes ANY kind of sudden movements or threatening gestures, well, I highly doubt any good will come from letting the bad guy with the gun align his sites on anything.

He had so many opportunities to stop. I know everyone and their mom is saying stuff like “why didnt they use the pit maneuver or something”…well, that comes down with closing the distance on a guy with a gun who is not afraid to use it…that doesnt make too much sense.

And I know that people think Cops are paid to be shot at and be hit, punched, stabbed, shot etc…well, frankly, NO. No they are NOT paid to do any of that. Society pays their salary so that those men and women can challenge those people in society and put themselves in a situation where harm is a possibility but that doesnt mean they have to go into harms way with wanton disregard for their own safety. Like moving from behind a solid engine block, up to a car with a guy with a gun in it when you have a citizen on the ground…The cop runs up and gets shot…now what? more guys have to run up there to get hit…yeah no, I dont think thats what they get paid for.

3. hectometer says:

actually,yeah the police did shield the man . have you ever heard of suppression fire? keep the tango’s head down,and provide cover fire to insure the safe evac of an innocent person. trust me,he was being shielded. those cops were laying serious suppressive fire on that idiot.the innocent man,who vouched for the cops by the way,said the man was brandishing his weapon. this was most likely suicide by cop.he was also on the opposite side of his vehicle,well out of danger from riccocheting splinters.

20. Troy says:

Great coverage. Thanks to Tim Conway Jr at KFI, I was able to catch everything. KFI even had Steve Gregory at the seen moments after the chase ended. Amazing stuff. Keep the great work up.

21. ana cohen says:

Wow, do they really have to air this on TV!!!!! Waste of air time!!!

1. Anono says:

Ana missed Dr. Phil?

22. Debi says:

It always is Ana – they seem to think we can’t get through our evenings without it – unfortunately it consumes the entire night, because they keep repeating it.

23. Debi says:

You truly need to put the game controllers down and get in touch with reality! Really – CALL OF DUTY – LMAO

24. guillermo says:

thats fuked up fuk the police

1. Robert Campbell says:

Write in English please. I don’t understand you.

2. Country Rocker says:

Typical Mexican, u are Guillermo. Go check in with your parole office essay.

25. Cesar Serrano says:

they should not have shot him with that kind of backdrop or people around! that’s why they train for stuff like this. they got caught up in the moment and took a huge risk!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Debi says:

I also like women and I am menopausal

1. Debi says:

I don’t know who posted this, but it wasn’t me and you are a pervert who needs to grow up!

1. Debi says:

Dont mind that other Debi.. Its really me but I am off my meds again… Damn alternate personalities.. I dont like women!!! But I am menopausal..

2. Doug Metea says:

LOL LOL you just called @dude a butt wiper… Calling the kettle black arent we?

27. kathleen says:

I am sickened that the killing of that suspect was aired on live TV.
    I am flummoxed by the fact that the newscasters keep saying that police pulled that innocent bystander to safety. They did not. They did not move him until they had finished raining bullets on that suspect with the bystander in between the police and the man they were shooting at.
    I wonder if there are any journalists at KCAL 9 who are up to the task of reporting this story in a non-sensational way.
    I, for one, want to understand if the suspect actually took aim at an officer. Because killing someone for stealing an old Saturn seems excessive.
    Since KCAL 9 are already giving the police undeserved kudos for pulling that bystander to safety, can we expect them to look at this situation and the police with a critical eye?

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Hey knucklehead…..he took TWO cars by force with a gun…not just one….

28. USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA says:

All you people need to shut up with these comments about the cops killing the guy. I happen to know the girl who owns that car and she will never see it again. She just called me frantically crying because she doesn’t know how she’s going to get to work and her kids to school. But none of you care about her it’s all about the felon who showed no regard for human life flashing a gun out the window. Did they have to reload and fire more shots into the car I’m sure she would not have been that upset with a few wholes as long as it still ran but noooooooooooooo cops couldn’t wait for him to get out of the car? who cares if an officer or two get hit that’s why they have bullet proof vests. My friends car didn’t have a bullet proof vest

1. Debi says:

She needed a new car anyways… Probably doesnt have insurance…Right?

2. Rooney says:

My husband, a retired cop, says the LAPD will replace her car, so tell her to stop crying.

1. Debi says:

Rooney – I like your style, grew up as a COPS kid – and respect the officers and their decisions, after all they are there, I am not. I am more shocked by some of the comments here and people posting as me – with stupid, rude comments. I guess there is just no medium where you can voice your opinion and not put up with those not smart enough to comprehend. Bless your husband!!

2. Jeff says:

She only gets a free car from the city if she is an illegal alien.

3. bob says:

Who cares if the cop gets shot? thats what they have their vests for? Are you an @$$?! Do you not know that “bullet proof” vests are NOT bullet proof, just resistant and only up to certain rounds (very specific rounds at that)… Since when is property worth more than a life?

Yeah it sucks about the car. It sucks your friend went through that. But talking about the cop getting hit? Let me guess, highschool drop out, failed at any proficiency exam, probably failed the asvap (IF you took it) and aspiring to graduate to fries…great…

1. bob says:

*asvab…sorry migraine…

4. HolyCow says:

What’s her name? why hasn’t she come forward to the news yet? There’s many suspecting this was the mans own car. Police never stated the car showed stolen and every statement says he was suspected of car jacking, so if it happened today they would have ID’d the car TO a known victim. What’s her name?

29. OKEIMA VALENTINIO says:

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS….. HEY THEY JUST TOOK A MANS LIFE. WHAT IF HE/WAS A FATHER? I AM SO DISGUSTED BY THEIR ACTIONS. THIS IS WHAT OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE PAYING FOR? THEY JUST TOOK AWAY A LIFE FROM A FAMILY, THAT IS PROBABLY GRIEVING RIGHT NOW. HOW WOULD THEY FEEL, IF IT HAPPENED TO THEN? HOW SAD? WHAT A SAD DAY FOR LA RIGHT NOW U GUYS THIS IS NOT RIGHT. mR MAYIOR YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING IIMMEADIATELY!

1. Peter says:

Your right DEPORT THE ILLEGALS!!!

1. Debi says:

But they want to give them a drivers license now. So you can bet your ass they arent going anywhere..
        @okeima Yes he died, did he deserve it? If he had a gun and pointed it at someone, than yes.. I cant believe how dumb some of you people are… You’d rather that guy pumping his gas get shot? Oh and do you know anyone who wants an old hag for a wife? I need a man….

2. bob says:

You do know that the guy who got shot had a gun and used it in a crime and when that happens there IS an intent to KILL in there right?

3. Louis says:

So what if he was a Father, he should have thought about his Kid before he went and Pulled a Gun on someone else and did with he did to that person that also might have been a Father or Mother (Carjacking) he should have pulled over and got out, like a lot of them do and get Handcuffed, no he wanted to Brandish the Gun and let the L.A.P.D. know he had a gun also, so he payed the price for it. DO YOU KNOW WHAT COMMON DAMN SENSE IS? THE END !!!

4. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

OK MORON…..HE COULD HAVE SHOT AND KILLED ONE OF THE OFFICERS WHO COULD HAVE A FAMILY JUST AS WELL. THATS BETTER? THE MAYOR WILL DO NOTHING. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO. THE MAN COMMITED TWO FELONIES IN ONE NIGHT. HE GOT WHAT HE WANTED!

30. Juan says:

Some cops need therapy they get trigger happy in situations like this

31. Debi says:

I haven’t a clue why I bother – you always have some people who post the stupid comments, or those pretending to be ME – trying to be funny – – well guess what? You are showing you age, and using the loss of life, and a horrible event to play stupid games. Enjoy! I am done – can’t have a battle of wits with unarmed people!

1. Debi says:

Thank god.. No one wants to to read your comments anyways.. Go back to match.com and find us a husband! Our eggs have dried up, less marketable but I am sure well find someone…

2. Rooney says:

My husband said thank you. He was a GREAT cop!! Never mind these jokesters. I get the same stuff on Yahoo. Heaven help us if we have a decent opinion. He and I both agree that some of these cops need to go back and redo their training. I pray that this never happens again. Most chases come out good. This one didn’t and shame on KCAL9 for televising it so far into it. They said they’d never do that again. Like I said, only in L.A. Have a good night. I’m done with this too. You all be safe out there!

1. Debi says:

Thanks Rooney – my Dad was a Cop from the time I was 3, Police Chief in two cities, and I know what he faced. I value the Police, and although some need to be retrained, I do understand when they fear for their lives. You take care!

2. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Rooney is a Looney……are you seriously serious?????

3. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

IT’S CALLED POLICE ASSISTED SUICIDE….these days.

32. Some guy says:

Sorry, but when the guy’s pointing the gun at police and won’t drop it, he’s asking for it.

They wouldn’t do a pit maneuver because the guy had a gun. Makes sense to me.

Unfortunate it ended in violence, but that’s how it goes.

33. LOU says:

THIS SUCKS I JUST SAW THIS GUY HE EXIT IT HOLLYWOOD BLVD. I WAS IN FRONT OF HIM BEFORE HE EXIT IT THE RAMP BECAUSE HE HIT TRAFFIC , I UNDERSTAND POLICE OFFICERS HAVE TO DO THEIR JOB BUT THIS IS EXCESIVE FORCE …POLICE ARE SUPOSED TO BE TRAINED FOR THIS TYPE OF SITUATION THE GUY DIDNT EVEN PULLOUT A GUN

1. Debi says:

Hey turn your CAPS lock off…

2. GROWAPAIR says:

LOU

What happened to “EXPAT’s” post? Did someone realize that 99.99% any aS$wipe that begins a post with “I am/was a cop …,” they’re some dumbf**k blowing smoke out of their ass and report him/her?

34. USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA says:

@ Debi

Of course she has insurance they’re not gonna pick her kids up from school tomorrow and give her a ride to the grocery store. Come on, we all know how slow insurance companies operate.

The cops couldn’t have just put 1 in his head? One and Done. She wouldn’t mind if she had to clean a little brain goop of the back seat, she’s good at that kind of stuff. Just scoop it all up first with a piece of his fractured skull so it doesn’t get all clumpy and crusty.

1. Always right says:

I understand but if one cop only pulled the trigger once time 20 cops, you’ll still have 20 holes.. I dont think they will ever have a designated Trigger man…

2. John says:

They’re cops, not snipers. One and done in that situation? No way. Every cop there is trained to fire two to three rounds center mass at the target. Her car will be replaced, but the shoot was what it was.

35. Kayleigh says:

Without the badge, its murder?

1. bob says:

people think they (cops) get off scott free…nope. This will go to the DA’s office and they might actually be tried for murder. Long after we forget about this (probably 2 days) these guys will probably be hearing about it and having court hearings…probably years after

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Negative on that.

36. Rooney says:

This is for KCAL9………..16 years ago a man blew his head off after a chase ended on a bridge. It was very sad. You stated you would NEVER have your copters show this type of thing again. It was very traumatic for my 9 year old grandson. he had no idea what was happening. I guess your ratings are down~

1. Debi says:

Thats your fault for letting your grandson watch a criminal being chased… Liberals always blaming everyone else… Change the channel or shut up.

1. Anono says:

You have no idea what your talking about. My 5 year old son was watching cartoons that day, and it turned into that guy on the bridge shooting himself in the head…

2. Debi says:

Your right.. I havent had a man in my life in awhile.. I need someone to tell me what to think and do…
        And that bridge incident was pretty awesome.. People kill themselves every day

3. Rooney says:

No it’s not my fault and I’m a republican and you go and stick your head where the sun don’t shine. We like to watch the bad guys get caught, not killed. Obviously you do. It just tickles your buttons eh. Now change the spelling of your name.

4. Debi says:

That wasnt me who posted that… BUT maybe now he’ll understand that if you run from the law, have a gun, and aim it at anyone, then you get shot… I think that its a good life lesson.

5. Go LAPD says:

ANONO – voilent cartoons?

Video Games by that time were already hyper violent, worse today.

What are you complaining about.

2. Louis says:

KCAL9 Keep giving the people what they want to see, Rooney my 8 1/2 year old Daughter seen what was going on and she definetly knew what was happening she even said if the bad guy that was driving and running lights and stole the car, if he would have pulled over and put his hands up like the other chases that they do in the past on T.V. the guy that was shot and killed would still be living. If your 9 year old Grandson was traumatic for watching it, what the Hell are you letting him watch something like that ??? If he cannot relate whats going on, sounds like he has been sheltered from some things that are just reality in life, that is why he was traumatic from it. Shame on You not our Grandson.

1. Louis says:

your Grandson/

3. Go LAPD says:

Does your kid like/play video games?

You aint seen nothing yet.

37. bigmoney says:

nobody here is happy the cops killed the suspect? i know i am. dumb guy deserved it.

38. Debi says:

Ok – I am and have report who ever decided to make the same screen name as me – and post these rude comments. I am suggesting to this news station that they screen their posters. You are such a juvenile to do this, and making a mockery of what happened here tonight. Grow up!

ROONEY – that isn’t me who replied to your post to KCAL – sorry no way for you to know that!

1. Debi says:

I thought WE decided to go to Match why are we back here again???

2. News Station says:

We got your request… And Unfortunately there is an issue.
      The name of “Debi” cannot be copyrighted as 1000’s of people have the same name…
      Call your local politician to complain as we have real news to take care of…

3. Rooney says:

This person sounds sick and I’ll bet it’s a guy. A lady wouldn’t act that way or someone with any intelligence.

1. Debi says:

I cannot control my personalities.. For some reason I think I also post as Rooney.. But i am not sure…

I did like Kcals coverage though

39. pat says:

This guy was armed and carjacked someone and your upset he was shot and killed by the police.. Are you freaking kidding me people that your upset about this ?? I am glad your not the one to coming to my house when I call 911 !! Looser !!

1. LOU says:

people are upset over dirty police actions looser

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

SHUT UP LOU.

40. Dan Simons says:

The guy pulled into the gas station, saw the prices, and then said forget it just shoot me.

1. joe says:

hahahahaha omg.. so funny !!!1

1. LOU says:

im sure would be funnier if thats your family member , hahahaha funny huh

41. USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA says:

Watching a high speed chase with 9 year old grandson.

It’s 2012 lady take responsibility for your own actions. I’m sure you’re well aware of the possible outcomes when the police are chasing an armed suspect but you let him watch it anyway. Another classic case of expecting somebody else to parent your children for you and getting mad when they don’t meet your standards.

and by the way all the news stations agreed not to show it only if you actually see the person getting hit. There’s nothing wrong with showing the cops shooting the outside of a car.

1. Rooney says:

My grandson was watching something else and it turned into the shooting. I wasn’t there. I wish I had been. And he is now a US soldier and I’m very proud of him! I monitored what my sons watched on TV. Now don’t start with me because I don’t have time for the likes of you.

42. joe says:

this is how ALL pursuits should end ! nice work L.A.P.D.

1. Louis says:

You Got My Vote on that Joe, they will think twice before going on a pursuit rage.

43. LOU says:

the man is facing the floor how can he see if the guy really pulled out a gun ,dirty action by dirty trigger happy pigs and that is trhat

1. pat says:

Really ? and how would you know that LOUsor ?? a gun was found in the car so it really doesnt matter where this guy was at. Carjacking fool got what was coming to him and it sound you do too !!

1. LOU says:

typicall anser of a loser red neck

2. To Protect, To Provide says:

Pat, suppose a 10 year old kid robs at 7-11 and police shoots at the kid? the kid desserves it?? you know they have bean bags as well..

2. Robert Campbell says:

Terrible grammar, with a run on sentence and spelling mistakes. Please learn proper English and then come back and engage us in dialogue. Thanks

3. GROWAPAIR says:

LOU

You’re a puS$y dumbf**k talking with your daddy’s balls up your aS$.

1. LOU says:

GROWAPAIR IS YOUR TYPICALL SNITCH WHO IS OSESSED WITH MEN’S ASS

44. vinnie says:

who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. GROWAPAIR says:

vinnie

Very doubtful as no one here says you got your head out of your ass, and you’re still a puS$y dumbf**k loser. Probably what’s attached to the balls up your ass doing all your posting.

1. LOU says:

GROWAPAIR !! IT SEEMS YOURE OBSESSED WITH THE WORDS BALLS UP THE ASS , THIS IS A CREEPY FELLA!!

2. CADILLACESCALADE says:

Grow A Pair needs to o spank his mom off before posting comments. He is a bank robber and child molester, so he will probably be the next guy we see shot in the head during a chase down hollywood!!! SUck on that one peter puffer, poop shooter packer

2. mike says:

So where were are you puS$y d!cklips? Still having your daddy’s balls up your ass do all the talking.

Hey 1stman, we all know it’s you hijacking screen names to say something stupid since you started using one of my screen names “up//yours.” Your limp d!ck fell off when I called you out to show your puS$y ass at a Kelly Thomas rally,chickensh!t no-show dumbf**k.
So show your puS$y ass by where they had the Kelly Thomas rally. There is a sculpture that looks like a big check mark in front be there at 1:00p 02/22, if your $lut mama can sew your limp d!ck back on

45. vinnie says:

one less idiot one the road:)

1. Louis says:

Right On Vinnie.

46. akd says:

I wonder if this will cancel the lunch appearance by former US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O Connor tomorrow about 2 blocks east at Southwestern?

47. Denise says:

He was about to jack another car

48. LA_Supremacy says:

F CK THE POLICE, LET ALL PIGS DIE

1. To Protect, To Provide says:

More like we should EDUCATE the police who are really a puppet….

2. hectometer says:

you’re an anarchist idiot. you disturb me.

3. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

BRING IT ON MORON!!!!!

49. To Protect, To Provide says:

The LAPD did a really bad job. They shall be trailed for murder….what is it going on? we follow the laws more than following GOD? Wasnt it GODS words say THOU SHALL NOT KILL? LAPD are most popular in brutality, especially there is a RODNEY KING, everyday. Yes the suspect carjack which has happen everyday and they do get trailed once they get caught. LAPD shall know that their job is not easy, if they get shot and etc. thats on them and they KNEW the consequences. Ambulance shall be sued by the suspect’s family once the LAPD HANDCUFFED the suspect.

1. Louis says:

To Protect, To Provide, you need to read your comment section over and over again, because you don’t even make sense in what your saying. Whenever someone has a gun in th Car, Carjack he Auto, this is the procedure they need to carry out all the time, because if they did not, this trend will be happening more often, this will make anyone think twice for taking a Car by Gun point and putting the danger of lives of other people specially during rush hour traffic on a Thursday evening. He had plenty of time o pull over, get on the ground and surrender, plenty of opportunities, this Carjacker signed his own Death Wish. NO LOST TO SOCIETY AT ALL. !

50. Rose says:

LAPD just started to shoot, without first taking the wittness into a safe situation, why do they have to fire so many bullets???? I’m wondering if LAPD is mixing up the reality with Hollywood movies, this is reality not a movie and not
    the Wild West, it supposed to be a civilized country, but I’m not sure anymore….. There are cleaner ways to disarm a suspect, what is next machine guns, blowing up the gas station?????

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

hey moron, would you rather they wait til the guy took the ‘innocent bystander” hostige? People are missing the pig freakin picture hear!!!!

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Thats big picture…not pig picture….

51. js says:

At least there was a happy ending.

52. Marcos says:

It was a wee bit excessive but all in all, one less worthless sack of garbage that we need on our streets. I applaud the LAPD.

1. NOTAFANOFSTUPIDITY says:

Why are you applauding the police??? They basically committed murder.
      They can’t shoot people because they think they might do something. Everyone keeps saying, oh he had a gun… yeah but he hadn’t used it.
      Pretty soon, cops are going to be killing people all the time, because they thought something was about to happen. What happens when they start pulling people over JUST BECAUSE they THOUGHT they had drugs on them. What if its you, what if they pull you over and you put your hand in your pocket to get your ID out and theyt shoot you dead, because they THOUGHT you were reaching for a gun…..? Think about it

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Ok moron, next time they will wait til he starts shooting first. hey maybe he’ll shoot your sorry a@@ in the process?

2. Rick says:

Your title fits your comment……Anytime anyone “Carjacks” using a gun, leads police on a chase waiving the gun at them, then comes to a stop waiving the gun at civilians, leaves the Officers no choice. There was imminent danger to not only the police but the civilians in the Shell lot. The Officers had no choice. The suspect invited a deadly ending and I am glad it was only him. CUDOS!!! TO LAPD!!! No officers were injured or civilians. Officers, get some rest and know your the one going to sleep not the dirtbag that chose the ending.!!!!

3. Rick says:

My reply was to notanosstupidity!!!!!

4. truthnotlie says:

I agree with you. the police crossed the line. You can not killed someone by an assumption. Definite execution here and it does not take 60 bullets to kill a person. Truth will come out.

53. THE TRUTH says:

The guy had a gun with bystanders right near him. Who knows what he was gonna do. The cops are there to protect the public and they did their job.

1. cedeston says:

they didnt do there job there job isnt to kill people thats my cuzzin he had a family he was sooo wrong for everything he did but he didnt deserve to die like this if you knew him like we knew him he wuldnt have shot at anybody this isnt right but im really sorry for what he did

54. Notorious P.A.T. says:

This situation is pretty easy to rationalize if you just think about this:
    If you carjack multiple people, if you engage the police in a vehicular chase, if you wave a gun around…if you do all that, then you deserve to get shot so that you can not rob or kill the next person you come in to contact with.

Don’t do stupid s**t and bad things won’t happen to you. It’s very simple!

1. DY says:

Bingo!

The ideology of Don’t don’t stupid things and bad things wont happen to you has worked great in my 30+ years of life.

We all make our choices in life, And being 40 and carjacking people means this guy was worthless to society. Its sad that he got himself killed by the police. The amount of rounds was excessive but that is a different story. Maybe it was suicide by cop from the way he was acting. I noticed that not one person has talked about that plausibility.

2. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

AMEN!!!!

55. Beemorecareful says:

The fact that someones life was taken is tragic however we don’t know exactly what happened at the station apparently he had a gun because the witness seen him with it so apparantley he was advertising it. They aren’t suppose to wait to see if he is going to use it, the bottom line is if you point or wave a gun at the police rather it be L.A.P.D or not you better hope for the best but expect the worse. Seems like he wanted to die but just didn’t want to kill himself, I put myself in the shoes of the police and my mentality would be I’m going home to my family tonight so i’m going to what I have to do to make sure of that. He shouldn’t have did what he did in the first place and we wouldn’t be posting these comments.

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Exactly!!! It seems like a police assisted suicide.

56. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Sorry, but its very difficult to take the witness serious with that really bad Korean accent.

57. ting says:

Perhaps firing at the suspect was the correct move, but from a bird’s eye view of what transpired, what they did was a little bit reckless. Numerous shots were fired from different directions as if they have no regard for crossfire or ricocheting bullets. Only officers who have a clean shot at the suspect should have fired their guns I think.

58. Bob says:

$4.21 for regular gas in LA?

59. cedeston says:

This was my cousin and im really sorry for what he did it wasnt right but the way he died wasnt right he didnt have to die this way the way the cops shot at him wasnt right its like they didnt care about anybody that was around but if you guys new him the way i knew him he wuldnt have shot at anybody idk y he went out like that and decides to carjack 2 people at gun point

60. Ida Q says:

Why can’t the Police use their brains. All they have to do is follow the suspect in a regular unsuspicious looking car, or cars till he gets to his destination. Surprise him by whacking him from behind, pulling him down to the ground , handcuff him and arrest him. You always hear of how the Israelies use the eliment of surprise when attacking the enemy, why can’t the police do the same. One, the car is left in tact, the criminal is arrested without the use of guns, which endanger innocent people. Two the police are seen as the protectors of our community. The guy gets his trail and is proven guilty or innocent according to the evidence and sent to jail or released if innocent, which if the car is stolen guarantees him going to jail.

61. josh says:

the police did what they had to do to take care of the problem. the guy didnt deserve it but he got it.

62. Popi says:

Sounds like the LAPD had a little “TEXAS” style police training. Keep up the good work.

63. truthnotlie says:

To all that are so quickly to judge, you are just like those pigs, so quickly to shoot. How many bullets does it take to kill someone? I hope and pray all these cops get what they deserve. Watch the video and judge for yourself. The suspect carjacked two cars using a gun to obtain the cars, did not harm anyone physically while doing so. The cops spotted the suspect and gave chase, it was a long and at low speed chase, had plenty of time to come up with a plan. During the course of the incident the suspect never harm anyone physically, he did not deserve to be taken down like that, no one does. What I saw was execution, excessive force used by police. Shot firing at every angle, i’m surprised they didn’t throw out the grenades also. The truth will come out.