Groom’s Father Rescued By Mother-Daughter Duo

MARINA DEL REY (CBS) — A Marina del Rey wedding ceremony turned into a life or death drama after the father of the groom took a tumble on his family’s big day.

For Dante and Marshawn Stevenson, childhood friendship came first.

“She was 3, I was 10,” Dante said.

After three decades of friendship and 3 years of dating, they made plans to cruise into the next chapter of their joint journey.

“It was like, ‘this it,’” Marshawn said.

“Very anxious to put that ring on her finger,” Dante added.

Their wedding was on a yacht and was held on Marshawn’s late mother’s birthday.

“To keep her spirit alive in a sense to where I don’t cry on her birthday; I celebrate her life and my new life,” Marshawn said.

It was a celebratory ceremony to remember.

“Tears in my eyes, tears in his eyes,” Marshawn said.

But as guests were walking downstairs about to leave, Dante’s father missed a step, fell and hit his head.

“I heard a loud scream,” Dante said. “I just saw my father lying there.”

He was not breathing and had no pulse.

That is when a mother-daughter duo went from guests to guardian angels.

“I seen my mother. I said, ‘mom we have a cardiac arrest,’” said Marshawn’s friend Elise Sanders.

It was natural for Sanders and her mom Mildred Cureton to come to the rescue – both are registered nurses.

“She jumped down I believe two or three stairs immediately went to work,” Marshawn said.

“I gave two breathes and she began the chest compressions,” Cureton said.

After a few minutes of CPR, the groom’s father started breathing.

“Thank you Lord. I was happy that we were there for that at that moment,” Cureton said.

Mr. Stevenson is home from the hospital resting. His presence is a wedding gift the couple will cherish forever.

“I truly want to thank them,” Dante said.

“There’s no monetary gift I can give to repay them for what they’ve done. They gave life,” Marshawn said.

More from Suzie Suh
Comments

1. TJ says:

It’s such a pleasure to read stories like this compared to the usual drunk driving accidents and murders. Bless you and your family, and congratulations on your wedding! Take good care of each other!

1. marshawn Stevenson says:

Thank you very much for your warm and encouraging thought!!😉

2. m says:

nice to know that someone else’s wedding went from nightmare to dream and I’m happy for the family! My yacht wedding almost killed my husband and the nightmare legal battle afterwards practically ended what could have been a great marriage.

1. marshawn Stevenson says:

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you….

3. IRENA says:

HI IM SOO HAPPY FOR YOUR FATHER ,TWO NURSES , IM RETIRED NURSE ALSO BUT WHEN I HEAR STORIES LIKE THIS OF HELP!!! I FEEL LIKE IM STILL WORKING AS A TEAM MATE. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU NEED! ALWAYS KEEP MEDICAL FRIENDS AROUND ALSO THEY WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!!!! IF YOU CALL.

1. marshawn Stevenson says:

Haha!!! From this moment on, I wish I could keep my best friend and her mother in my purse….lol those are my angels!!! Thank u very much!!!

4. Patty says:

Blessing to you and your husband on your wedding. What a Godsend it was to have those two wonderful ladies at your wedding. I’m very happy to hear that your Father-in-law is going to be alright. What a memorable day this will always be for you. To remember your dear Mother and to be blessed with your wedding, and the life that was saved on YOUR special day! God Bless you always. (I was in class Wed when you mentioned this to all of us.) BTW, you made a very stunning bride!!

1. marshawn Stevenson says:

Thank you Ms. Patty I truly appreciate you kinds words…. This will ALWAYS b a memorable day for me and my family…..