Armed Gunmen Take $1 Million In Jewelry From Salesman In Mall Parking Lot

SHERMAN OAKS (CBS) —  Two armed robbers smashed into a traveling salesman’s car and nabbed $1 million worth of jewelry at a Southland mall Friday, police reported.

KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz Reports

The robbery took place shortly after 3 p.m. in the parking lot of the Sherman Oaks Fashion Square.

A jewelry salesman and his wife from Palm Desert had just parked their car when two masked gunmen approached the driver’s side with a gun, smashed the rear window and grabbed the jewels. They told CBS2 that the robbery happened in seconds.

Someone told police they saw a grey BMW 3 series, with paper plates, speed out of the parking structure.

Investigators were reviewing surveillance video to get a better description of the suspects.

The salesman said, earlier in the day, he had been to a Santa Monica jewelry store and he believes the suspects followed him from there.

“It appears that there was knowledge of what was in the car. They were followed to a specific location. The suspects knew exactly where to obtain the jewelry,” Sgt. Mitzi Fierro said.

Authorities explained why jewelry is attractive to thieves.

“Jewelry is always very easy to take. Frequently, people who are doing robberies focus on smaller items because they’re easier to obtain, easy to carry, they have a lot of value,” Fierro said.

Detectives don’t believe there’s a spike in this type of crime. However, there have been several recent jewelry heists in the Southland area. In November 2010, diamonds and watches were taken at gunpoint from two jewelry wholesalers in Newport Beach. In April 2011, $1.5 million in jewels were taken from a jewelry representative as he stopped for lunch in Santa Monica. In August 2011, a salesman was robbed of $2 million in diamonds as he sat in his car in traffic.

Comments

1. uhoh says:

The traveling salesman was in on it. I’m sure the robbers didn’t just looked at them and said “I think they have a million dollars worth of jewels”…..

1. 1stman says:

uhoh

GROWAPAIR is a white, rapist, anchor baby crack ho’,

2. mike says:

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection Everyone knows I’m a pu$Sy dumbf**k

1. 1stman says:

mike (a.k.a. GROWAPAIR)

Look, its the white, rapist, anchor baby crack ho’ trying to hide behind “mike,” talking with its daddy’s balls up its aS$.

2. valentina says:

Suzy Q, you must be Armenian.

3. Zetto says:

for insurance purposes.Yeah,saleman was in on it.I’ve seen this in the news few times already..same scenario.

4. yohanan says:

Ask about the solution of the ISPS.
    ISPS Program is the only ones that give a real solution to
    The problem of robberies of salesmen’s

5. stupid is says:

Why is someone with just a CAR allowed to have jewelry worth so much money?
    You don’t see banks having their deposits shuttled in cars, the use ARMORED vans. Why don’t these jewelry people do the same?

6. Auntie Social says:

Not persians, blacks, in a stolen BMW.

7. Frank says:

Nope, Mexicans and Latinos always the issue here. A constant struggle in containment.

8. armen says:

Sounds like an inside job. I’m sure Macy’s salespersons in on it. And if the car didn’t have current license plate, it definitely had to be Armenians.

9. Doug says:

I’d rather have someone stick a gun in my face and steal my money than a person who says “Let me borrow money” with no intention of paying back. At least an armed gunman is putting his ass on the line because he can go to prison. You can’t send a so-called friend to jail for not paying back money.