OC Home Depot Killer Yells ‘I’m Innocent’ Before Death Row Sentence

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A man convicted of murdering a retired Marine sergeant during a botched robbery in Orange County was sentenced to death on Monday.

KNX 1070’s Ron Kilgore reports Jason Russell Richardson did not keep silent while the widow of Tom Egan read a statement.

A visibly emotional AJ Egan addressed the court before Superior Court Judge William Froeberg sentenced Richardson to death for killing her husband, who was working as an assistant manager at a Home Depot store in Tustin in February of 2007.

After three penalty phase trials, the jury recommended the death penalty and Froeberg agreed — but not before Richardson had his say before the court.

jasonrussellrichardson OC Home Depot Killer Yells Im Innocent Before Death Row Sentence

Jason Russell Richardson (courtesy Orange County district attorney's office)

“I didn’t kill anybody, I’m innocent,” Richardson shouted out.

After the hearing, Egan said despite Richardson’s outburst she was able to keep going with her tearful statement.

“Definitely a surprise, and I just do what I do at home,” she said. “Sometimes you have to ignore the kids and I ignored him.”

Richardson is set to be transported to San Quentin to await execution.

More from Ron Kilgore

1. anger loco says:

How can you kill someone… Let god be the judge not the courts… This is a evil system… Put him in Jail for life…

1. cory says:

Zealot death penalty opponents such as judge jeremy fogel will do everything possible to make sure the process is not carried out i.e judicial activism at its finest!!

2. Heidi Collins says:

You do realize, that if this poor excuse for a man goes to prison for life, WE pay for his food, clothing and shelter. Do you really want to do that?????

3. Chris says:

Do you want to spend your tax dollars keeping him alive Loco? Why should we have to? If he is guilty, why keep him alive…..Ifg I killed your Mother, girlfirned, sister or whoever…do you want me to live eating three meals a day and getting a good work out in the Gym lifting weights???

4. Morgan Lane says:

The man who died was the most loving, caring and best father a man could ever be. I am happy that justice is being done and there is no chance for him to get out and scare his wife and two daughters who I love very much. He got exactly what he deserved and now my friends are at peace and can continue with their lives.

2. Sandy says:

God say’s and eye for an eye! If he did not murder this innocent victim he wouldn’t be in this position.

3. Mike says:

Dear loco, just get assaulted and attempt to murder you for just standing there and I bet you change your mind. If not then you support the mad killer for the rest of his life, should only cost you everything you make. What if he killed your kids? mother? wife?

1. Heidi Collins says:

GOOD reply, Mike. Did you read my comment under locos’ post?

4. Kevin Riley says:

If someone killed one of my family members, they had better pray that the Cops catch them before I do, because I’d go Dexter on them…

5. ll says:

Corrupt DEA where stealing drugs from evidence vaults and reselling them to cover extensive credit card debt.
    They also are creating suspects by planting evidence just so that they can steal from them.
    Given the choice of suspension or dealing with their debt most DEA are thinking outside the box.

6. james reynolds says:

I think that the system needs to be reform, if some one is sentence to dead, why wait 20-30 years, dead sentence should be done at the most 5 years laters, let’s reform the system, its costing a lot of money to keep dead row immates alive for 30 years.

7. Michael J. McDermott says: