40 Beagles Rescued From Testing Lab In Spain, Need New Homes

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A planeload of beagles has arrived in Los Angeles, where they will be found new homes.

The dogs landed at Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday night and were whisked to the home of an attorney involved in their rescue.

Gary Smith of the Beagle Freedom Project told City News Service the beagles were rescued from an animal testing laboratory in Spain that was about to go out of business.

Part of the lab’s agreement in giving away the beagles was that they would not disclose what kind of tests had been done on the dogs.

After the plane touched down, the 40 dogs passed through customs. One was picked up by new owners at the airport while the rest were taken to lawyer Shannon Keith’s North Hollywood house.

If you’d like to learn how to foster or adopt the beagles, or help with future rescues, you can log on to BeagleFeedomProject.org.

Comments

1. Mike in San Diego says:

Snoppy

1. Rose says:

I would say even Snoopy needs to be protected as well as other dogs in this world. They have the right to have a life like us Humans right? They deserved to have equal rights like us once again….They have feelings & love, caring, sense of humor & lots to say…I could say Im an animal lover myself…So…I could say Snoopy deserves an equal rights like all of us…:)

2. Truth Seeker says:

We need to publicize the names of all those “scientists” and other workers who allowed this to go on so long, so that they may be PUBLICLY SHAMED for the rest of their miserable lives!! These people are not human, they are MONSTERS! What they did was clearly unethical (as judged by society) , so they need be shamed forever (if they can’t be prosecuted). Let them spend the rest of their lives in a cage for a change!!

The law cannot protect someone from being publicly shamed for what they have willingly done but society does not condone!

1. Erin says:

These dogs WERE NOT “rescued”…LOL. The animal testing laboratory was going out of business which is why they voluntarily handed them over to this beagle foundation. Rescuing a person or pet involves some kind of resistance or opposition on the part of the “wrongdoer”. Point being, if this laboratory was still in business this foundation would have never received these dogs. Come on KCAL did you people have a little to much to drink today?…the headline here should state: “40 Beagles shipped to LAX due to Spain Animal Laboratory Closure”

1. USC Trojan says:

Agree 110%. You are one very smart women Erin

2. Julie says:

The beagles were set to be killed if this foundation hadnt taken them in. So yes, they were indeed rescued. From DEATH. I would certainly consider myself rescued if someone saved my life, wouldn’t you?

3. Rose says:

This is an outrage of course for people who shows no love on animals. I cant see my dogs get this brutal treatment on our Man’s Best Friends. I just wish this people will get the brutal treatment as well. I also want their license be revoked as well. Why can’t Pres. Obama do something with animal traitors like the people from Spain…This is like Human such as kids are being kidnapped for their internal organs in the Philippines. Dogs & hHuman kids are being used for lab test…I just wish this will be controlled if not…This will get out of control…Our society is in danger with this kind of predators roaming around our city area, our city or perhaps their roaming around the whole world looking for unweary victims to be tricked to become brutal victims of Human & Animal organ supliers…This is an outrage that’s going out of control…Our world is becoming & getting more worses by the minute.

1. Carolyn says:

Rose,

Unless your a strict vegetarian or vegan you have no room to whine about animal rights. Any animal (domesticated or not) doesn’t deserve to die to satisfy the taste buds of humans. In the beginning of time humans had to kill animals in order to survive – now humans have a choice. Those who choose to eat meat and just plain heartless. People who truly love animals never eat ANY animal. Simple concept to understand. *Yes, I’m one of those crazy PETA members…but at least I have compassion for anything that has a beating heart

4. Rose says:

5. Rose says:

Our society is the one to be blame with all of this stuff been happening in this world. With Human Traffcking & now Dog Traffcking Yikes our world is full organ Harvester…My comment is why can’t they just Harvest the organs of the people in the hospital when they’re dying anyway? Am I right or not? Why get organs from this innocent people & innocent dogs when they can just used someone close to dying instead. Im scared with our society now a days because I cannot trust anyone else anymore…In this world…Im living in a world of uncertainty…I cannot trust no one now. I just need to be safe everyday…Lord…Pls.. Save Us All from this kind of predators in this whole World Im livong in…Thanks…Trust me we only have one Savior in out Life & its God….God bless us all:)

6. Time4Dogs says:

And yet our animal shelters in California claim to be unable to find enough homes for the animals originating locally. $100,000 could have been more wisely spent to helping many more than 40 dogs. Couldn’t these dogs have been found homes in Spain, France or Protugal by regional rescue organizations??

1. thinkingdogsman says:

Seriously, those dogs were socialized and way too fit to have lived in cages for two years. Steps could have been taken to adopt them out over there without spending $100.000 to bring them here and displace adoptions of US dogs waiting for adoptions and being euthanized instead. None of this is as great as they want to make it sound. In fact, it’s totally inconsistant with the constant bashing of breeders and insistance there are not enough homes and shelter animals have to die. Instead of praising, publicising and enouraging this, CBS should have asked the hard questions and exposed it for the self-indulgent folly it was.

7. gg says:

A corrupt DEA poisoned my dog to death because I called the San Francisco Attorney General’s office to complain that the FBI and DEA where fabricating evidence and stealing from me.

8. Wynne says:

I wouldn’t adopt any animal unless I knew its history in its entirety. To gag the Foundation into not revealing what was done to the dogs is irresponsible. The new owner has a right to know, especially if whatever was done had a direct effect on the animals’ behavior, physical or mental health or reproductive future.

9. Sandy says:

I cannot believe known of these comments thanked this foundation for saving these dogs. It does not matter if they were saved from Spain or America, they have been saved. The purpose of this particular rescue foundation is to save lab dogs from future torture. The Beagle Freedom Foundation went above the call of duty to save these beagles. Their task has just begun, they will spend their time and money to find qualified forever homes. God Bless them!

10. LCD says:

Thank you for rescuing those beagles!! I can’t imagine what tortures they were subjected to in that lab, but now they will find loving homes. I will never visit the country of Spain because I find their history of bull fighting to be cruel and inhumane. Whenever I see a video of some bullfighter being tossed around on the horns of the bull, I cheer for the bull! This “lab” performinmg “experiments” that they won’t reveal is another reason for me to dislike Spain.

11. anonomous says:

There are too many Labs in Ohio that still use beagles in their labs. Why not save these beagles?