All 70 OC Fire Engines Now Have Masks To Revive Pets

ANAHEIM (CBS) — All 70 Orange County Fire Authority engines are now equipped with oxygen masks to help save pets’ lives, thanks to a donation from the Emma Zen Foundation.

Debra Jo Chiapuzio established the foundation in honor of her rescue dog, which she adopted after it was displaced during the Santiago Fire in 2007.

There are now enough masks to cover 22 cities and all of unincorporated Orange County.

“This is great for our department to have standardized equipment aboard all of our trucks and engines,” said Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion told the Orange County Register. “We have had to work with equipment designed for humans to adapt to pets, and we realize that pets are like family members to many people, so this will really help us out.”

For more information, visit the Emma Zen Foundation.

Comments

1. PUMPKIN says:

This is the best news I’ve heard for SAVING

2. Barbara Bowlby says:

this is so cool every engine should have them

3. Marcus Porcius says:

And yet we hear that if we don’t agree to tax increases they’ll cut fire services? How about we make sure all the necessary manpower and equipment for saving HUMANS is available before we make big donations to put oxygen masks on dogs and cats.

This state just gets dumber by the day.

1. Ken Swan says:

so a private foundation donates the funds and resources for this and YOU have a problem with it??? Did you see ANYWHERE in the article that it said taxpayers paid for it? you really are brainless and clueless

1. Marcus Porcius says:

I didn’t say anything about taxpayers. To paraphrase you, did you see ANYWHERE in my comment that said taxpayers paid for it? No, you didn’t. Try reading before you accuse others of being brainless, brainless.

My criticism is of the feel good types who will donate money for this stuff then cry that there’s not enough money for police, fire, teachers, etc.

2. borntobepolitical says:

Get a life

3. Vicky Bevis says:

Ours is all volunteer. In fact, most fire depts. in the U.S. are volunteer. Didn’t cost a taxpayer a thing.

4. Jessica says:

love this!!! i consider my dog to be a person in my family🙂 need this in every truck in every state!!

1. Ken Swan says:

our dogs are our kids so this is great news

5. Mike says:

Its all good until a Firefighter dies saving someone’s house pet. Pet’s are not people, if you think they are a member of your family then you have serious mental health issues.

1. Nick says:

Mike: the fire department didn’t say that they are going to change policy and risk firefighters for pets. This is merely another way that the fire dept can contribute to the well being of their community. There is no reason that the fire dept shouldn’t try to save a pets life IF during the course of a primary search they find no humans, but come across a dog that was overcome by smoke inhalation. Also they were already doing so, adapting equipment made for humans to save the pets.

2. borntobepolitical says:

You obviously don’t have a pet

6. NE SMITH says:

Does this mean that the FD will be called to resuscitate fido at the expense of human emergencies?

7. Vicky Bevis says:

I live in a very poor county & last yr. I donated 2 of these masks to be used for both our fire dept. & our rescue squad. BTW, they work great on infants.

8. h says:

Corrupt FBI and DEA have been encouraging me to buy a gun. Several said that if I do not have on,e I might be killed anyway and a throw-down will be planted.

Reason for threat…
    I called the San Francisco Attorney General’s office to complain that corrupt FBI and DEA where fabricating evidence and stealing from me. Two weeks later my dog was poisoned to death.

The FBI and DEA use murder to close their bad cases. That includes staged shootouts with corrupt police (Erik Scott, Las Vegas), tampering with automobiles to cause accidents and using gang members to commit murders for them.