Official: ‘Adult Bullies’ Behind Opposition To Lesbian Homecoming King, Queen

SAN DIEGO (CBS) — A Southland high school was bombarded this week with what one official called “hate” calls and emails after a teenage lesbian couple was selected as homecoming king and queen.

KNX 1070’s Tom Reopelle reports the top school official for San Diego County said those who criticized the students’ selection are “adult bullies who preach hate and intolerance”.

Superintendent Bill Kowba said adults criticizing the selection of Rebecca Arellano and girlfriend Haileigh Adams as the homecoming king and queen at Patrick Henry High School are “demonstrating such a lack of tolerance and are presenting such a negative role model for children with their hateful comments.”

“I am disappointed that this happy and positive event has received national media coverage, which has attracted a slew of what I can only describe as hate calls and emails to the school,” he said.

Arellano was named homecoming king at a Friday pep rally, while Adams was named homecoming queen at a school dance the next night.

The calls and emails “are also disrupting the work of the school to focus on the education of students,” Kowba said. “If these calls and emails were from students, they would face disciplinary measures.”

Kowba said that despite the public outcry, he supports and congratulates the reigning homecoming king and queen of Patrick Henry High School and wishes them luck in the years to come.

“I look forward to the day when all students can come to school, free of harassment and bullying,” he said.

More from Tom Reopelle
Comments

1. Karen says:

The students elected them. Period. Nothing else needs to be said. They were duly elected and everyone that does not belong to the school should butt out.

1. jJim Marinelli says:

You are an idiot!

2. RALPH says:

HEY LETS SLOW DOWN A LITTLE, YOU SAY THE DULY ELECTED AND WE SHOULD BUTT OUT. OK, LETS THINK THIS OUT ALITTLE. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THESE STUDENTS VOTED ON SOMETHING THAT WAS AGAINST THE LAW – WOULD YOU THEN STILL CONDON THIS ACTION ALSO. WHAT ABOUT THE INFAMOUS (DITCH DAY) AGAIN THE STUDENTS BASICLY VOTED FOR THIS ACTION, BUT THEN DON’T THE POLICE GET INVOLVED AND PICK THIS KIDS UP FOR DITCHING AND THEN DON’T ALSO CALL THE PARENTS TO COME AND PICK UP THERE DARLING CHILDREN UP. BECAUSE WHY – ITS AGAINST THE LAW. ALL I’M SAYING WHEN DOES THE RIGHTS OF STUDENTS AND BRAKIING THE LAW START AND END, AND WHEN IS IT IN GOOD OR POOR TASTE.

3. Whisky…Tango… Foxtrot says:

They are both very cute; I would love to see them “go-down on each other”.

2. chris says:

grow up and let the kids choose their own Queen & Queen

3. Ray says:

While the kids have a right to vote for their home coming King and Queen I do think that it should be a male and female or you have to call it what it is Home coming Queens.

4. FFL says:

Only in the land of PC gone crazy Ka Ka land is this insanity tolerated. This was done solely to create controversy, pure and simple! What else does it accomplish besides showing a lifestyle that is not in the mainstream, NO MATTER how the state run radical liberal owned and operated media portrays it!

5. @hmwith4 says:

WOW!! I am not a hater and I abhor that people would hate or speak of anything subjective as hate. I am a believer is Christ Jesus and I know this kind of commitment to same sex always leads to unfulfillment because they are living in sin. We are ALL sinners, these two girls are beautiful girls created by God but is choosing to live outside Gods plan for their lives. This is not hate, this is truth. My heart hurts for this whole situation. It seems we ALL have our own truth, God truth is what we follow. Wether you call this hateful or not is your choice, but you cannot say that my comment is hateful because of my truth that I follow. As I am sure most phone calls and e-mail are as such as mine. Call it what you will, but the hate is coming from those who do not want to hear our TRUTH God’s truth, but are forced to hear your truth. It does not make sense, it is what it is. God will be that judge for ALL of us one day on how we chose to live, how we chose to react, and how we chose to love.

1. yourbiznes says:

Leave Jesus and God out of this. I always thought that a King was male, and not female. If you want two females on the royal homecomeing court, then it should be homecomeing queen and queen.

6. Rey Montes says:

I don’t really condone the selection, but, this is a school activity, and the students made the choice…let them have their moment! However, if the school condones this…then let prayer clubs come back as well. Fair is fair!

7. This is wrong! says:

This is all propaganda from the qays to push further there agenda on the normal population.

These two girls are just that, girls/children! They have no idea what they are doing as children.

Sham on the school admintistration for allowing this to take place.

Any feed back from the public regarding these two girls, is just we the people that have a right to voice our opinion! Not bullies!

1. How is it wrong? says:

I’ve heard dozens of times that term, gay agenda. What exactly is it that the media hopes to do? Turn us all gay? I’m pretty sure nature already decided that one for me. I’m not gay, and no amount of gay TV/Movie characters, kids at a home coming dance, singers/musicians, etc. will change me.

8. nonya biz says:

to the parents your worthless faceless cowardly strong opinion like this from those concerned parents is not a anonymous thing step up and say it in person i would ,and have .but to do it using messages is just cowardly now i side with the young ladies just because some stupid jerk with a strong opinion is to chicken sh&t to do it in person for fear of being seen as a dumb ass well guess what you look worse i feel for the kids of stupid parents to the king and queen congrats have fun and enjoy your selves i am not a supporter of this but i do support the actual integrity and courage they seem to be showing dont let a idiot bring ya down i would at least have brought up my concerns in person and not a message machine as a parent thats just the dumbest thing you can show or express to your kids your personal feelings toward the subject matter in the most cowardly way possible i want my kids to develop there own feelings without my toxic opinion interfering with there awesome minds

9. Hardmoney says:

Your the ‘bottom guy’ are’t you?

10. Carlys says:

This is wrong for a school to condone this. Kings have and will always be male not female. Also this is again nothing more than a publicity stunt that the district should not have condoned period. As far as hate goes I agree with the earlier blogger about truth and to be truthful the whole thing saddens me. it shows how we all need to pray more and bring revival back to this land.

11. Sam says: