New Details Released In Flight Attendant Murder Mystery

WEST COVINA (CBS) — Authorities are releasing new information in the murder investigation of 27-year-old US Airways flight attendant Nick Aaronson.

Aaronson, who grew up in West Covina but was based in Phoenix, was found dead in a Mexico City hotel room during a layover Saturday morning.

Hotel surveillance video shows him signing in 20-year-old Jose Ramirez, a male prostitute known as “the shadow”.

Police arrested Ramirez after they tracked him using Aaronson’s cell phone.

He has since admitted beating Aaronson, but claims the flight attendant was alive when he left the room.

Ramirez, who has a police record in Mexico, has also been identified by several witnesses.

Prosecutors in Mexico City say Aaronson was found naked on the floor with his hands tied behind his back.

“I wish they had the death penalty in Mexico. He took the bright life out of my life.” Anita Aaronson, Nick’s mother, told CBS affiliate KPHO.

The President of the Association of Flight Attendants Council 66, Deborah Volpe, told KPHO that she knew Aaronson well.

“Nick is a very popular flight attendant, very happy, great personality, very open and compassionate,” she said.

Comments

1. ritchie kotzen says:

Double standard.. a gay guy picks up a prostitute and gets murdered gets sympathy.. a straight guy?? forget about it..

2. Andrea says:

I used to work with Nick and he was a very nice guy. He made a poor decision, but it’s not about who is gay is who isn’t. It’s about someone taking another man’s life.

1. Roger T. says:

@Andrea:

Please don’t speak for everyone by dictating what the story is “about.” For other readers it may very well BE about the fact that a young, well loved person was into prostitutes and was out of control sexually. It may be about the fact that despite how much you THINK you know a person, you never REALLY know what they are about unless they tell you. You don’t get to dictate to us that the story is ONLY about a murder. The story has implications about healthy lifestyles, gay or straight, about integrity, (his Facebook page says he was in a COMMITTED RELATIONSHIP,) about sensibility and a whole lot of other things. The fact that you worked with Nick and that YOU feel he was a “nice guy” does not mean others may not form their own opinions.

I am sorry he was killed. And I feel for his family. Glorifying someone into that kind of lifestyle is to me just wrong. And I am not referring to his sexual orientation. If you can’t go a nite away from home without picking up a prostitute, there are some serious issues going on. Maybe the story is not only “about” a murder, but “about” what happens when one’s sex drive overshadows one’s common sense. Thanks.

1. Josh says:

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I am a gay American visiting Mexico City and this happened 3 blocks away from where I am staying. I come to Mexico City because it has hundreds of museums and artifacts. This guy was in a committed relationship, cheated on his boyfriend and picked up a 20 year old prostitute named “The Shadow” at 4 am while on a flight layover. Poor judgement and a bad character at that. Sad he was murdered but if you engage in the Illegal activities of picking up prostitutes then you are asking for trouble. I feel bad for his mother and his boyfriend.

2. Josh says:

Gives new meaning to the word “layover” . I read the “victim’s” facebook profile. He was in a domestic partnership. I feel sorry for the boyfriend he cheated on. Doesn’t sound like a nice guy to me. He didn’t deserve to be murdered, but he was participating in “sex tourism” by picking up a 20 year old prostitute and signing him in on layover. I’m an American staying a few blocks down from where this happened. The news reports here claim there was a 14 year old prostitute involved as well and that they could not show the video of the 14 year old because he’s a minor.

3. sholmo says:

adam and eve , forget steve

4. T. JENSEN says:

it is risky pickin someone up like that in this country much less in some other country i hope this serves and notice to others that it is simply not worth it

5. Jerry Falwell Sr. says:

The wages of sin is death.

6. Josh says:

Gives new meaning to the word “layover” . I read the “victim’s” facebook profile. He was in a domestic partnership. I feel sorry for the boyfriend he cheated on. Doesn’t sound like a nice guy to me. He didn’t deserve to be murdered, but he was participating ILLEGAL “sex tourism” by picking up a 20 year old prostitute and signing him in on the hotel security while on layover. I’m an American staying a few blocks down from where this happened. The news reports here claim there was a 14 year old prostitute involved as well and that they could not show the video of the 14 year old because he’s a minor.

7. Chris says:

Most of the commentators here are vile. When you die an untimely death, may those who do not know you blame you and say you deserved it. Hiring a prostitute and infidelity are not punishable by death in our society; this is not the Arab world. Roger T, dial down the hysterics next time you comment.
    Andrea, thanks for sharing your thoughts as someone who knew the victim.

8. Lucretia says:

Hey Chris, it must feel very special for you to be boss of the world of free speech. Feel free to dial down the delusions of omnipotence next time you comment.

9. Mr. Darwin says:

I was a bit curious about this story and wanted to see if there was a funeral for this guy and some details. I could not find anything on the internet about a funeral service. I have to imagine that they did something with the body and that Nick’s remains are not still in a refrigerator in Mexico City. But there does not seem to be anything. Perhaps the family was not religious and that he was buried quietly because of his lifestyle and how he was murdered by a male prostitute he had hired. Gosh does that sound just a wee bit judgmental? Well, that’s because it was intended to be. I love the way that his fellow employees rushed in to say what a great guy he was. Most great people I KNOW don’t hire prostitues because they can’t bear spending one overnight alone. What does this say about his alleged relationship with his boyfriend? What a joke.