1 Dead, 1 Injured In Afterschool Stabbing Near Norwalk High School
NORWALK (CBS) — A 15-year-old boy was killed and a 16-year-old boy was injured Friday in a stabbing near Norwalk High School.
Paramedics were sent at 3:14 p.m. to Harvest Avenue and Foster Road, behind the school, said Bernard Peters of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Sgt. Mike Mendoza of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said that when deputies arrived, “we realized two kids had been stabbed.”
Officials at the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said the 15-year-old victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The other victim was taken to a hospital for treatment. His condition was unknown.
Juan Fernandez, reporting for KCAL9 and CBS2, said the16-year-old has two stab wounds in his back.
Fernandez also reports the two victims were walking away from the school when a car pulled up with at least two young men inside.
Investigators told him they have few leads, although they believe they know the nicknames of the suspects. They would not say if the attack was gang-related.
(UPDATE: 5 p.m. Saturday): Suraya Fadel reporting for KCAL9 and CBS2, said there has been an arrest.
Police would still not say if the murder was gang-related, but George Sosa, one week shy of his 16th birthday, was described by his family as “a good kid,” who was never in trouble.
His cousin Flor Perez told Fadel, Sosa was hard-working and the oldest of three children raised by a single mother. “It’s terrible whoever did this.”
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)