Long Beach Fire Captain Pleads Guilty To Hit-And-Run DUI

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A Long Beach fire captain pleaded guilty Tuesday to druken driving and other charges stemming from a hit-and-run crash that seriously injured a bicyclist.

John David Hines, 38, of Huntington Beach, was sent to a state prison for 90 days for a “diagnostic evaluation” program that provides treatment and recommends prison time or probation, Deputy District Attorney Andrew Katz said.

He is scheduled to be sentenced in December, and he faces a sentence ranging from probation to six years and eight months in prison. Katz said he will recommend a prison sentence.

KNX 1070’s Mike Landa reports.

Hines allegedly spent the morning of April 1 drinking at the Schooner or Later bar in Long Beach before getting behind the wheel of his Chevrolet pick-up truck at about 1:20 p.m.

He was eastbound on Westminster Avenue, between Bolsa Chica and Seal Beach Boulevard, in Seal Beach around 1:30 p.m. when he lost control of the truck. Prosecutors said Hines swerved into the bike lane, hitting 47-year-old cyclist Jeffrey Gordon.

Hines drove home to Huntington Beach, where he was arrested, Katz said.

He allegedly had a blood-alcohol level of .24 percent, about three times the legal limit, around two hours following the crash, the prosecutor said.

Gordon was treated for head and spinal injuries and a broken back at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, where he was hospitalized for two weeks.

»RELATED: Long Beach Fire Captain Faces DUI Charges In Hit-And-Run Crash

Comments

1. Igor Doublebubblevich. says:

Is he on paid leave as usual for about $200k a year?

1. Stan Switek says:

he was fired. If I was maried to his wife i’d drink too.

2. Tired of the lies says:

Why dont we see more of these criminal firemen on here?? I had one come to my house and steal from me during a medical aid for my mother in law!! Lucky for me the cops arrested him AND found my property. All the news media does is make these guys look like some sort of hero cause they fight one fire a year. They are a bunch of uneducated losers….

1. dk says:

Another jealous impotent prick. Your own fault you couldn’t make the cut. Firemen are the first ones in the door to help your old ass mother. Try calling your educated doctor friend to come pick her up at 3 am. See what happens. Give credit where do.

3. j says:

A corrupt DEA poisoned my dog to death because I called the San Francisco Attorney General’s office to complain that the FBI and DEA where fabricating evidence and stealing from me.

Also since that time, they have been using gang members to harass me and tampering with my car with they intention of causing an automobile crash.
    The DOJ is creating their own terrorists.

4. POF says:

Go get your head examined and for the guy’s whose mommy fell on the floor no reason to call 911 why don’t you get your educated self over there and figure out a way to get her off the floor.

5. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

a hit-and run by a “white maggot firefly” no fuk”in way dude!!

6. Jeff says:

If he was a coop the guy on the bicycle would be in jail right now.