SANTA ANA (CBS) — A 24-year-old Huntington Beach man pleaded not guilty Friday to involuntary manslaughter for the punching death of another man at a bar in Stanton last month.
Oscar Raul Medina-Perez also pleaded not guilty to a felony count of battery with serious injury today. The involuntary manslaughter charge was added since Medina-Perez’s initial appearance in court last month because the victim — 24-year-old Leovardo Vera Bustos — died July 22.
Medina-Perez and Bustos allegedly got into an argument in front of the La Barca Night Club July 5, Deputy District Attorney Ebrahim Baytieh said.
Surveillance video shows Medina-Perez punching Bustos and the victim losing consciousness, Baytieh said.
Bustos was taken to a hospital the next morning when he was found in bed unresponsive bleeding from his nose, Baytieh said.
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)