‘Dukes Of Hazzard’ Actor Chip Mayer Dies At 57

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Actor Christopher “Chip” Mayer, best known for his role as Vance Duke on the popular CBS show “The Dukes of Hazzard”, has died. He was 57.

Mayer appeared in the film “Liar Liar,” and frequently guest starred on many popular television shows in the 1980s and 1990s. He often played the dark-haired, handsome hunk who … oh no! … turned out to really be the bad guy.

Mayer died July 23 of natural causes in Sherman Oaks, according to Variety.

He was married three times. First to “We Got it Made” actress Teri Copley, then to “Young and Restless” star Eileen Davidson and finally to Shauna Sullivan. All the marriages ended in divorce.

Mayer first gained prime time notoriety when he and actor Byron Cherry joined “Dukes” to play cousins of the main characters, Bo and Luke Duke — fast-driving moonshine runners who were perpetually trying to evade “Boss Hogg” and other law enforcement officers.

The cousins appeared in 19 episodes while lead actors Tom Wopat and John Schneider were embroiled in a contract dispute.

Later, Mayer voiced the same character in an animated spinoff, “The Dukes.”

Mayer’s other television credits included the daytime soap “Santa Barbara,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Baywatch,” “The Love Boat,” “Xena: Warrior Princess” and “Silk Stalkings.”

His other film roles included “Survivor,” “East Meets West,” “Hard Time” and “The Hunted.”

Mayer is survived by three daughters, a grandson and a granddaughter.

At the time of his death, he was engaged to Catherine Irvine.

On his facebook page, he writes, “I always thought about being a politician but I’d rather be an Ambassador for Christ.”

Donations in his memory can be made to the Chip Mayer Memorial Trust Fund, 4343 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, Calif.; 91423, in care of Shauna Mayer.

Comments

1. Jo manny says:

Wow sounds like he was a really cool dude. Rest in Peace!

2. Mano Man says:

He died fairly young, but he had a great run with some beautiful ladies.

3. Marivi says:

How the hell does someone die of “natural causes” at only 57?!?

Need more info, please.

4. Big Bear says:

Teri Copley was hawt! Sounds like he had a few good years!

5. Dean Banks says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Hattie... says:

I liked Chip too but he was heavy into drugs at one time and its possible it did some damage to his body…So sad…Nice looking guy but didn’t seem to have alot of luck with his marriages. R.I.P. Chip…I know Im posting late but I didn’t learn about this until today…

7. EARLINE says:

I AM ABSOLUTELY STUNNED THAT CHRISTOPHER MAYER HAS PASSED AWAY. FROM THE FIRST TIME I SAW HIM ON “DUKES OF HAZZARD” I THOUGHT OH WOW, WHAT A FANTASTIC LOOKING MAN. VERY FEW ACTORS REALLY GRAB ME IN THE “HANDSOME” DEPARTMENT. I DON’T REMEMBER HIM IN ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN “DUKES OF HAZZARD”. I REMEMBER READING SOME ARTICLE IN THE EARLY 1990’S THAT CHRISTOPHER WAS WORKING FOR A CAR LOT. I HADN’T HEARD OR READ ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT HIM UNTIL I DECIDED TO LOOK HE AND BYRON CHERRY UP, AFTER I HAD COME ACROSS A BRAND NEW COPY OF SEASON 5 OF THE DUKES OF HAZZARD FOR ABOUT $5.00. I COULDN’T BELIEVE MY EYES. AND I ENJOYED EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. THOUGH SOME PEOPLE CONSIDER SEASON 5 TO BE THEIR LEAST FAVORITE, IT WAS MY FAVORITE. I HAD NEVER SAW ANYTHING ABOUT HE WAS ON OR DOING DRUGS. I SURE HOPE THAT WASN’T TRUE. BUT IF IT WAS, THAT DEMON DOESN’T HAVE HIM ANYMORE. HE IS WITH CHRIST. WE HEAR ABOUT SO FEW ACTORS AND ACTRESSES WHO FOLLOW CHRIST, AS IF THEY ARE AFRAID THEY WON’T BE POPULAR ANYMORE. IF HOLLYWOOD DID NOT USE CHRISTOPHER MUCH IT COULD HAVE BEEN BECAUSE HE WAS SO HANDSOME. FOR SOME ODD REASON HOLLYWOOD DON’T USE OR THEY MISUSE VERY GOOD LOOKING ACTORS AND ACTRESSES. IT’S A PITIFUL SHAME. CHRISTOPHER IS AT PEACE. PRAISE THE LORD.