LA City Council Votes To End Use Of Red Light Cameras

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The City Council voted unanimously Wednesday to pull the plug on its automated photo red light program, which issues $480 tickets to drivers snapped running red lights.

After more than an hour of debate, all 13 council members present agreed to stop issuing tickets generated by the cameras as of midnight Sunday.

The red light cameras are currently installed in 32 intersections across Los Angeles. The city was losing $1.5 million a year because many drivers weren’t paying the mailed citations.

KNX 1070 reports.

In 2009, a CBS2 investigation found that accidents went up after the red lights cameras were installed.

Comments

1. Jeffery says:

The mayor has said time & time again “It’s all about safety.” With these cameras gone I just don’t feel safe driving around anymore. Oh sorry about all the money the city didn’t make.

2. Kobe says:

These idiots voted the cameras in even though acciedents went up and the city was losing money. The city council just wanted to look good by voting on putting the cameras up it the first place. They did not care about accidents and the city losing money because the money from tickets went straight into the city councils pockets.

They should be arrested. Why are they not being arrested?

1. dawn marie says:

Ok OK.. question for anyone.. because I’m so confused… I just got a flash at a red light intersection.. A homeless guy was going throught the intersection.. on Thursday of last week.. I was waiting for him .. he just walked right across and blocked traffic going through the line which back up me… DOES THIS MEAN.. I shouldn’t worry about paying this ticket? any comments?

3. James Ward says:

What if this was illigal from the beginning what happens to all the people who paid the exborant fees for the redlight ticket.

4. pablo says:

Are they going to return my $485.00 that I paid for my red light camera ticket?

5. Luis Chacon says:

Not only these cameras are dangerous but also tricky, i was sent one and one can clearly see 4 different cars and mine going thru the intersection all while the light looked red no way 5 of us ran that light… for 5 cars going thru it had to be a green light some how the color in the picture was manipulated to look red and I had to pay $380.00 6 years ago.

6. Samir Toska says:

I have gotten a ticket for A redlight with a camera. I have not paid my ticket yet. Please advise me on who should I call to check on the “validity” of my ticket after this ruling. Thank you