Gov. Brown Signs Landmark Law To Teach Gay History In Calif. Classrooms

SACRAMENTO (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a landmark bill adding lessons about gay history to social studies classes in California’s public schools.

Brown, a Democrat, signed the bill Thursday, making California the first state in the nation to require public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

The Democratic-majority Legislature passed the bill last week on a largely party-line vote.

The bill has drawn criticism from some churches and conservative groups that argue such instruction would expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable.

Democratic state Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, the bill’s author, has said that teaching gay history in public schools will teach students to be more accepting of gays and lesbians.

Comments

1. Phiilip says:

ok

1. Stryker 21 says:

How about teaching them to read and write. Once we have that mastered, then you can introduce the history makers of pole smokers and carpet munchers.

2. LJ says:

Disgusting. Glad I don’t have kids in the public school system.

3. drum says:

cole porter, franklin pangborn, leo g carroll.etc etc.

will the sexual orientation of deceased persons now become a hot topic for the purposes of discussions on gay history.

this can open up a potential can of worms was he or wasn’t he??

4. Hmm says:

I’m not sure I understand this law. Is it a law that enables teachers to teach ABOUT h0m0sexuality? Or is it a law that enables teachers to teach about how some g@ys and lesbi@ns have positively contributed to society/the world? If it is the latter, then I’m all for it. If it’s not, then I will raise he// at my kids’ schools. That is MY job and decision whether they know intimate details about h0m0sexuals and their lifestyle, and NO ONE has the right to take that away from me!

1. Tha 1 says:

Exactly. Soo many parents will pull their children from schools. This is not acceptable.

5. rick says:

if someone made a positive impact on the world why is their sexual stuff even important do we discuss weather some inventor was doing the man/woman next door NO all that matters is what they invented

6. PeteM says:

Me too Rick. They’d be out of there in a heartbeat!

7. Stubby says:

All our kids and grandchildren are in private schools where we don’t have to put up with this garbage. How about PUblic Schools footing field trips to the Folsom Street Fair to actually get a full view of the Gay lifestyle and history in the making? Brown is such a jerk.

1. david sanders says:

I agree!

8. PeteM says:

This stuff should NEVER be taught in a SCHOOL!

9. rick says:

hmm it is both they will teach how the person was gay and yet made this positive impact and as such being gay is a good thing

1. Hmm says:

OMG, I guess the schools better brace themselves for the fury that is sure to come from some parents… including me.

1. Karen says:

Give em hell Harry. It’s time we Californians fought back against this liberal panzy.

2. Tha 1 says:

Yup! there not going to want to deal with me! this will be a huge epidemic in the schools sytem. Too many parents will remove their children the schools will be forced to remove it from the text books.

10. WHATITHINK says:

Another reason to leave the state of California.

11. tj says:

Shouldn’t history just be history without regard to sexual orientation? Or age, race, national origin, gender…. anything? This is stupid legislation. I’m pretty sure California actually is hell.

1. Tha1 says:

pretty dam close! almost there. So sad– CAli used to be the best!

12. Einstein says:

Boy! Once again Mr. pandering let the people vote on it, no way had any intentions on letting the people vote on it. And the lunatics of California out of their jealous hatred for the rich vote this ignoramus loony tune back into office. Now it’s “required” to force the excepting of a sick and perverted life style to our children in public schools? What is this world coming to!!! Sure didn’t see this one coming for the second time around with this liberal nut case! Not only does it make Meg Whitman look like a genius, but maybe not a bad choice after all. SICK AND PATHETIC!

13. Einstein says:

Oops, Should be ! and ???.

14. Einstein says:

Don’t blame me, I voted for Meg Whitman!

1. Karen says:

I voted for Meg too. Jerry Brown HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING THAT CALIFORNIANS WANT.

Brown does what he wants.

1. He refused to honor our vote on Prop 8 and even supported the gay people at the CA Supreme Court while he was attorney general.

2. As attorney general, Jerry Brown let all the lethal injections expire ON PURPOSE so that CA could not carry out death penalty sentences.

3. For the longest time, HE WANTED CALIFORNIANS TO AGREE TO PAY MORE TAX so that he could fund the pensions for state employees who retire at age 50 and 90% of their salary. You never know, this ugly beast may soon raise its ugly head again because the budget we passed includes revenue from sales tax from the internet that many experts says does not exist.

Now he has passed a stupid, discriminatory law. Why is it discriminatory? Does a person’s sexual behavior cause them to contribute to society? I always thought it was the content of one’s character.

15. Ron says:

What in the world is Moonbeam thinking?Of all the problems we have in California why waste time on this?

1. Diane says:

I totally agree.

16. bigjim says:

Another reason top VOTE NO on tax increases for public schools. Maybe they should stick to teaching english, math, and science since they cannot even do that right.

1. Voted for Meg! says:

AMEN!

17. Malcolm says:

That’s right. We’re gonna teach your children our ways. Hopefully we can turn some straight kids into g@y kids. Thank you Mr.Brown, for endorsing male on male s o d o m y.

18. Jason says:

Are the schools going to teach our kids about the statistics of g@us and HIV? Or would that not be politically correct?

19. Jacob G. says:

This state has been making me sick for the past 10 years. I think it is time for many families including my own, to move on to greener pastures. Somewhere where our votes will make a difference.

20. Robinton says:

Who cares about the gays.Let’s exterminate those brown stone age apes.

21. JC says:

Thanks, Governor, for getting our children to think and talk about gay sex while they’re still interested in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. I’m sure NAMBLA will love you for this one.

22. Everyday Guy says:

Support private schools and home schooling. Kids will learn more and can freely laugh at the freaks. And just what gay history is there besides the glory hole?

23. Doug says:

Great. Our kids can’t read or do anything above basic math. When I meet college students (which I do a lot) I like to ask a few questions on history. I have yet to find a single college student who could tell me anything about WWI, other than it must have come before WWII. A friend of mine told me she couldn’t find a high school kid who could correctly identify George Washinton as our first president. We are raising a generation of idiots.

1. Gidzmo says:

I suspect that more parents will seek out other alternatives for education: private schools, homeschool, or simply leaving the state. The schools, IMVHO, should stick to the basic curriculum.

2. Bill says:

Slight correction, California CONTINUES raising generations of idiots and p..v..ts.
      And they continue to elect them to lead California to glory.

24. Hollywood Reporter says:

Yup , California sure is the Land of Fruits and Nuts.
    No wonder we are broke with these morons in Sacramento.

Adult Toys 101

25. Voted for Meg! says:

Wheres the petition to overturn this. If they can do it with Prop 8 so can we!

1. Karen says:

Prop 8 WILL ULTIMATELY PREVAIL. Don’t you worry. Support attorney Andrew Pugno and his team. This will go to the US Supreme Court.

26. Gidzmo says:

Unfortunately, Rick, the changes are to the textbooks. As I remember, the law doesn’t allow parents to opt out.

27. itsalldownhillnow says:

this is disheartening. the perverted icons of california history, rainbow colors on the capitol, my tax dollars, teachers and parents who object to this are told to just shut up. will teachers quit? will parents withhold their kids from class? next brown will sign a proclamation to FORCE the parents and kids to abide by the new laws. sick man sick…oh wait…then the governor will ban home schooling.

28. itsalldownhillnow says:

and by the way,,,be sure to drop the guv a line telling him of your displeasure with this bill.

1. Karen says:

I already did when the legislature passed the law. I sent him numerous blog comments talking about how discriminatory this was. I should not have wasted my time. Brown does whatever he wants.

29. KOBE says:

THIS IS A DISTRACTION FROM FROM THE FACT THAT THEY ARE GIVING ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO FREE COLLEGE. DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THE FREE SCHOOLING THEY ARE GIVING TO ILLEGALS FROM MEXICO???

THE REAL PROBLEM IS ILLEGALS NOT F@GS. EVEN I HATE THEM TOO.

30. JC says:

Thanks, Governor, for getting our young children to think and talk about gay sex while they’re still interested in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. I’m sure NAMBLA will love you for this one.

31. Proud to be an American says:

Ok, I understand maybe this will make society more tolerant of gays. I have no problem with that. HOWEVER, many schools no longer do the pledge of allegiance. With so many immigrants in America, this should be a must. All people, citizens and immigrants should be taught to respect the flag of America.

1. Hmm says:

Amen! to that, Proud! Where do I sign up to get that started? And, I too, am a PROUD AMERICAN!

1. Donaldson says:

It’s unAmerican to force that on the kids.If they want to do the pledge of allegiance let them do it.If not let them be.Now that’s what American Freedom is all about.
        The kids should not be “taught to respect the flag of America.”
        It should come from their heart.
        So shut up.

2. Karen says:

I’m proud to be American too and was so happy when the community rallied against the No Cal principal who suspended high school students FOR WEARING THE AMERCAN FLAG.

The principal said it would incite riots. This is the US. We can fly our flag.

I vote that they say the pledge of allegiance over learning gay history.

1. Bubbbles says:

Doing the pledge always made me feel like a lowly foot soldier in a Nazi army.Hated it.
        This is America for god’s sake.Don’t militarize our kids like that .

32. anger loco says:

Attention All Christian People and people with Morals and common sense: Beware the Anti Christ is here! This is becoming too weird. How do you force the children to learn GAY history and that perverted lifestyle.
    Marriage is between Man & a Woman, whether you like it or not. People need to stand up and protest this sick mess. If we let this go on then this world will be a very stranger place with Chaos.

33. Denny Gerard says:

Its the Gayvenor Gate scandal. Brown should just step down and admit he has lost sight of the reasons people voted him into office. He is wasting our time and money on such issues.

34. NoPC says:

That’s just great. California is already in last place, the worst state in education performance in the country. And they’re doing this type of stuff?

Let’s go back to math, science, and reading. Other countries are already eating our lunch as it is. No more “Month of”, “Week of” type political stuff.

35. imaworkingmom says:

So who is the GAY GENIUS that get’s to decide what the historical event, invention etc… is/was and why it should be recorded as HISTORICAL?

And… how is the person’s sexual orientation deternined to be factual or not?

And how is this going to help the boys/girls get jobs in the future? Are they planning on a application status add now other than race to add Sexual Orientation?

This is LAME.

36. HooDatIS? says:

people should be able to opt there kids out these programs
    this is not something you may want your kids to learn
    how terrible

37. The Big Logic says:

I always had the suspicion that Brown was part butt boy. One of them 1/2 & 1/2ers so to speak.

38. Michael says:

Oh my god! The next thing you know they’ll be teaching about the legitimate contributions of blacks, latinos, asians, and, worst of all, native americans. Who do they think this country belongs to; all of us?!

39. Ntera says:

Can God save for this world? So sad to heard that.
    I try to taking our kids from puplic
    school.

40. rlh83 says:

so who is going to pay for all these books to alter the points of view in history? I thought there was a budget problem in the state. kids are working to their potential because of limitations, but now they are going to fund this. wow, unbelievable.
    teaching lifestyles of people in history should happen in high school as an elective. college also, but elementary school is not important.

41. southernbit says:

How does someone’s sexual orientation have an impact on their place in history to begin with? And if they are willing to make this a law, I want an equal law passed for CHRISTIAN HISTORY and want CHRISTIANITY being taught again along with Islam, Buddhism, Toaism, and whatever other religions it’s OK to talk about.

42. will says:

Wacky Governer, wacky laws.

You get what you deserve, Jerry Brown proved he was a MoonBat the first time around.

43. Igor Doublebubblevich. says:

wHO WOULD KNOW ABOUT GAY HISTORY OTHER THAN jerry brown? oH WAIT, REMEMBER HE GOT MARRIED AT 70! WHAT A JOKE!

44. buy usa vpn says:

Whats up very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?I am happy to seek out numerous useful info here within the post, we need work out extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .