4th Of July Dessert Is As Easy As Apple Pie
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (CBS) — Celebrate the 4th Of July with a slice of Americana.
Jim Cottle of Marie Callendar’s visit the KCAL 9 studios Wednesday to teach viewers how to bake a perfect apple pie in time for the upcoming holiday.
1. Start with a great crust. It must be flakey like Marie Callender’s and have the right ratio of flour to shortening. You can also find the Marie Callender’s crust, which is the next best thing to our fresh-made crust, in your grocer’s freezer.
2. Apples! Apples! Apples! The most important part of the apple pie is obviously the apples. Granny Smith apples are best, but don’t be afraid to include a combination. Golden Delicious and Braeburn apples are great too.
3. Don’t burn the crust. To prevent this problem, cover the edges of your pie with tin foil.
4. Taste the apples! Once you add your cinnamon/sugar mixture, taste test your apples. Do not be afraid to add more brown sugar and cinnamon to your mixture.
5. A mountain of apples is a good thing. Always prepare more apples than you think you will need, and make a mountain in the pie shell when you add the apples. You will find that the mountain of apples will deflate as you bake.
6. Sweetness other than sugar. If you do not think your apples are sweet enough but you do not want to add sugar, try lemon juice, some finely grated lemon zest, and 2 tbsp melted apple jelly.
7. The top of the apple pie must be vented with a few slices of the knife through the top pie shell. Instead of simple slits add a pattern or pretty decoration. Cut your loved one’s initials in the pie shell, or a heart, or star.
8. Bake the pie the day you are going to eat it to ensure freshness.
9. And, if you don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen making your own pies this Fourth of July, then simply visit a Marie Callender’s restaurant and take-home one of your favorite pies.
10. For more information, or to find a Marie Callender’s location nearest you, visit mariecallenders.com.