Few Laid-Off Teachers Hired Again Despite $57M In LAUSD Funds

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Principals throughout the Los Angeles Unified school district rushed to beat a deadline on Monday to explain why they aren’t using millions in surplus cash to rehire laid-off teachers.

Administrators are reportedly holding $57 million that could be used to prevent the layoffs of some 1,900 teachers, nurses counselors, librarians and others.

KNX 1070’s Jon Baird reports superintendent John Deasy recently wrote a letter to LAUSD principals demanding an explanation.

But union president A.J. Duffy said this categorical money should have already been spent.

“This was unconscionable,” said Duffy. “We have people who could have been brought back a long time ago and should have been brought back a long time ago.”

Duffy estimates the district could bring back up to 1,000 workers if they allowed the money to be spent.

As of Friday, however, only about 82 people had been rehired.

1. Shiggity42 says:

I’m not surprised one bit. The teachers that aren’t getting hired back are the ones they wanted to fire in the first place. Just because your title is ‘teacher’ doesn’t mean you’re a good one.

1. Shiggity43 says:

Yeah you are right I hate teachers too they is so stupid they shuld keep the good ones and get rid of all the bad ones. It is easy to choose because the ones with all the senority are all good ones and all the new techers is bad.

1. Shiggity44 says:

Sure looks like you were one of those students affected by a bad teacher.

2. Shaft says:

Just because you have ‘seniority’ doesn’t mean you’re a good teacher either. I have been a student and a parent of a student. I’m sure there is a good amount of good teachers affected by this, but i’m sure there is a larger amount of bad teachers. See, the bad teachers are a waste of tax dollars. If there is any one out there that don’t think there are bad teachers out there, you need a reality check.

3. Shaft says:

Typo. Aren’t^^^

4. AMERICAN says:

You must have been a student of teachers who “is so stupid”.

5. Max says:

You are dumb as hell

2. BroBru says:

I just completed my 5th year as a teacher. I am rated highly qualified and am a huge asset to my school. I am one of those waiting to be rehired. The majority of us are great teachers just hitting their prime. We are the last ones you want to be letting go.Please get informed before you spout misinformation.

2. Shiggity43 says:

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance) is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions.

1. Shaft says:

Got to love copy and paste.

1. Shiggity43 says:

Your evidence that you are “sure there is a larger amount of bad teachers” affected by this would be……?

3. adolfo says:

If this is true someone should be fired. I refuse to put my kids in public schools where it is 30 per room, mexicans can relate but not me and this is why private schools are waaaaaay better than public schools any day. We don’t have stuff printed up in spanish like public schools, we don’t have day care programs in high schools like in latino neighborhoods, we don’t have school shootings. And you still wonder why public schools fail us? It starts at the top!

4. Shiggity43 says:

I think Adolfo might be a little more comfortable in a school district up in Idaho.

1. INS says:

I think Adolfo is an Illegal alien.

1. adolfo says:

I am actually a legal citizen of Italian herigtage. My ancestors came here legally unlike these mexicans who make a mockery of the system.

5. Richard says:

It’s actually quite simple.
    The Principals who rehired the teachers did it because they figured that those
    teachers are too important to let go. The other ones were not rehired for the
    simple reason it might be needed to let them go again anyways since there is no
    budget and by not spending the money on those rehired teachers they will be able to keep the other teachers working a bit longer.

And, if AJ Duffy really wants to have more teachers working then he needs
    to agree to have them pay more of their health and retirement costs, freeing
    up money. But it’s not about the children, its about his union’s bottom line.

1. American says:

Got to love your compound run-on sentences.

2. noneoff says:

If you assume the average family has 3 people per family and there are approximately 45,000 teachers, there are 135000 people. If each family paid only $10.00 per person per month, that would be 135,000 x 12 x $10.00 = $16,200,000.00 per calendar year into the medical payments to the district. There are an additional 38,000 employees. These numbers are approximate and from the 2007 – 2008 school year. What does the district currently collect from all employees for medical?

1. TT says:

i like that – seems so simple when you break it down – and even better – if they werent paying all those union dues that dont protect them at all – they would have more for their family and more for the school – everybody wins ….

6. 1900innoho says:

Why waste our tax dollars hiring the same incompetent teachers who have failed the students and the district? Hire NEW and enthusiastic teachers who will do the job. NOT the union members who only care about benefits, pensions and number of days they HAVE to teach! Good bye to bad teachers.

7. Brown&Proud says:

I am a current high school senior and I love my young teachers. They’re by far the best I’ve ever had. Just because a teacher has”seniority” DOES NOT mean that they’re good.