Police Issue Warning About Downtown LA Stroller Bandits

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Police have released security footage of two women stealing a wallet from a baby stroller at a downtown Los Angeles swap meet, and detectives believe they may be responsible for other similar crimes in the area.

stroller bandit Police Issue Warning About Downtown LA Stroller Bandits

(credit: LAPD)

The surveillance video shows the suspects, described only as middle-aged Hispanic women, sizing up the victim, which in this instance was a mother with her 23-month-old toddler in a stroller, Los Angeles police Lt. Paul Vernon said. The video shows the woman’s husband standing nearby.

KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta reports.

One woman distracts the mother and blocks her from seeing her partner approach the stroller and grab a wallet, Vernon said.

“We’ve identified a trend in these kind of thefts over the last several months, and we want shoppers to be more aware,” Vernon said.

Detectives suspect the women live in the area, anyone recognizing them can call Detective Mike Mazzacano at (213) 972-1231, or Crimestoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.

Comments

1. Mary Elizabeth says:

Not worth the jail time. I don’t know why people waste their lives doing crime. The end results (Jail) just isn’t worth it…at least to me. I am a single parent and I don’t have to go out and steal. Instead, I collect cans out of trash cans, I work BARE on the side. (BARE is a small job I have that earns a little extra money. I go to different stores/post offices, etc., undercover and rate their service) and I also have a full time job.

2. Mary Elizabeth says:

P.s… who is the one doing the stealing? Is it the one smiling or the one that looks unhappy?

1. MK says:

The one who looks unhappy looks like The Grinch

2. jeff says:

the one smiling is the thief. She distracts mother’s by pretending to like their babies, then her smelly burrito eating partner takes the wallet. Someone out this piece of trash, and send her back to the dump she came from.

1. Mary Elizabeth says:

MK says it is the other – but I would think it is the one doing all the smiling too – she’s the one with all the new credit cards and money.🙂

2. mario says:

but why did you have the need to add smelly burrito.That sounds like if you are very racism.Let me guess it probably happen to you already!!!!!!!!

3. Mary Elizabeth says:

MK – Awe, now I know – thanks! You think she would be the one smiling, no? With all her new-found money and credit cards – you would think she would be carrying the HUGE smile.

1. MK says:

She’s trying to look all innocent and nice with her fake smile! I swear you can’t trust anyone anymore. You should NEVER have you wallet in sight.. ESPECIALLY at a swapmeet in Downtown LA!

1. Inspiredone says:

See , you and I would never go downtown with a stroller because if we go we are trying to get the deal s, frankly kids are in the way ( smile). It makes you think. She must have made a lot of money with that big O Koolaid SMILE

4. Inspiredone says:

Yep it is probably the one smiling, the mastermind of this crime. She even got her husband to participate because men know nothing about putting their wallet is a baby carriage .. that is a woman thing. Shame on her she probably is one of those neighbors in the local community , that all the other women depend upon for guidance, you know the one that attempt to tell the new illegal s how to work the system.
    The other lady llooks lost, more than likely new to our country , know it is wrong but told she would not get caught! The smiling one is the ringleader she tell them all,
    How to get welfare, how to get SSN, how to get illegal drivers liscence, how to get mpre than what is entitled food stamps. If I am wrong II apoligize.

Law enforcement should not only look for her for this crime but investigate further. I bet she has stolen credit card , ssn, and all the rest! GO TO JAIL< GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL AND DO NOT PASS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

1. wt says:

Yeah.She’s like.
      Look at all the gullible people in this country.They are just so nice.Let’s rob them.
      Typical.

5. super says:

So creepy.
    The look on her face is scary.