Dine On A Dime: La Monarca Bakery
Links & Numbers
Websites and phone numbers from stories you saw on CBS2 and KCAL9:
SANTA MONICA (CBS) — When we find a place that’s delicious and inexpensive we want to shout. And because La Monarca is that, and more, and they specialize in Mexican fare, we want to shout “Ole!” and very loudly.
La Monarca opened in Santa Monica just a few months ago (December 2010 to be exact.) This La Monarca joins two other locations (the others being in Huntington Park and East LA.)
The Santa Monica eatery recently expanded their menu. We had to take a look.
Open from 7 a.m. to 9 pm. daily, this charming hang out offers authentic Mexican baked goods and foods…no preservatives or artificial ingredients.
For a link to the La Monarca Web site, click here.
Here is the recipe for Molletes con Chorizo (as seen on Thursday evening’s Dine on a Dime segment.)
• One Artisan Mexican Bolillo cut into halves
• Mexican Smashed Pinto Beans
• Shredded Mexican Asadero Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese
• Mexican Chorizo Sausage
• Toast the two bolillo halves in a toaster oven (about 2 minutes @ 325 F)
• Spread the smashed pinto beans on both halves
• Cover both halves with shredded asadero or monterey jack cheese and place them in oven again until cheese melts (about 1 minute @ 325 F)
• Bring out and top with sauteed Mexican chorizo
• Add salsa to taste (optional) and plate