Anesthesiologist Accused Of Assaulting Unconscious Patients Pleads Not Guilty

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — An anesthesiologist charged with sexually assaulting two female patients — including a 16-year-old girl — while they were unconscious pleaded not guilty on Thursday to felony charges.

Yashwant B. Giri, 58, of Cypress, is charged with sexual battery on an institutionalized victim and sexual penetration by a foreign object of an unconscious victim.

He would face a maximum prison sentence of eight years if convicted, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Giri, who is free on bail, is due back in court on Tuesday for a pretrial hearing.

Prosecutors allege a nurse witnessed the girl being assaulted in February 2009 and reported it to her higher-ups, but Placentia-Linda Hospital administrators did not immediately contact law enforcement.

The attack on the woman allegedly occurred March 18, while she was undergoing an outpatient operation. A hospital employee allegedly saw Giri fondling the woman’s breasts.

Giri was arrested May 5 on a warrant as he drove away from his home and subsequently resigned his position at Placentia-Linda in April.

According to published reports, he has also worked at Lakewood Regional Medical Center, Anaheim Regional Medical Center, West Anaheim Medical Center and Western Medical Center Anaheim.

1. duh says:

Yeah, he looks innocent…

1. Oh my... says:

@ duh – Excuse me, can you describe what guilty looks like? Or how about innocent, for that matter? Your comment is really stupid. Think twice before you type (speak).

1. Thomas says:

I cannot describe what” guilty” looks like On my…but I sure know it when I see it! LOL!

Are you his daughter or something?

2. duh says:

@ Oh my…

The rest of the comments make any response to yours unnecessary.

2. rob says:

pervert, Im sure he will get plenty of hands on treatment in jail, I pray to god that his cell mate has a 16 year old daughter that has been molested, I have the under on this loser, 3 months in jail and hes done.

3. Big Bubba the Cell Mate says:

He can fondle all he likes in prison. Or he’ll be the one that’ll be fondled…conscious or unconscious.

4. Regg says:

Looks like the Oompa Loompa from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory…… a sick deranged perverted Oompa Loompa

5. Thomas says:

WOW! I was going to comment on why a wealthy anesthesiologist would have to molest anyone since he could probably get any woman he wants. But after looking at his picture, I have to rescind that comment.

It’s obvious why he would feel the need to molest unconscious young women!

6. Shiggity says:

Umm f this was the I seen about to give me drugs I would cancel my appointment. Who would let this pedophile work on them?

7. Treese says:

Shame on the hospital administration for taking so long to pursue this.