McCourt Speaks Frankly With Jim Hill And Apologizes To Fans, Team, Family

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — In an interview with CBS 2/KCAL 9 Sports Director Jim Hill, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt for the first time expressed some regrets and talked about his first meeting with Major League Baseball-appointed monitor Tom Schieffer.

frank mccourt int 110429 McCourt Speaks Frankly With Jim Hill And Apologizes To Fans, Team, Family

(credit: CBS)

“I’m sorry that my mess has become their mess and has affected the fan experience,” McCourt told Hill. “I’m sorry that some of my lifestyle decisions has some fans thinking I did not want to put the best product on the field.”

Hill spoke to McCourt live on the KCAL 9 News at 3 p.m. from Dodger Stadium.

McCourt also said he was “sorry for the embarrassment this has caused the community, to the team, to our fans…and I’m sorry this has affected my kids, my family and all the employees here.”

Hill asked McCourt why the fans should still support him. “In 2009, when I got separated, I sat with my four boys, they asked one thing. For us to keep our divorce out of the media. In October 2009, when I issued that press statement saying I wasn’t going to talk about our divorce because I viewed it as a personal matter it’s because I made a promise to our boys. And I was true to my word. Recently, my boys have told me that it’s okay with them now…if I defend myself.”

In the wide-ranging interview, McCourt also talked about his ex-wife, his thoughts and feelings about MLB president Bud Selig (“he’s ducking me”) and about new Dodgers Monitor Tom Schieffer (“we had a good meeting today.”)

Throughout the nearly 20-minute interview, McCourt sounded contrite. He said bluntly, “I’ve made my share of mistakes.” He was also measured and contemplative. Especially when talking about Bud Selig. “Communication is critical in solving problems. And I’d love to sit down with him.”

When asked if he would consider suing MLB, he took a long pause before saying, “…I’m going to protect what’s mine. But this isn’t just about money. It’s not about money. It’s what’s right.”

Comments

1. Janna says:

This was not a frank interview oh wait a may be it was. This turned out to be one of Mr. Hill’s worst interviews ever!! This did not answer any questions at the heart of the issue. mr. Hill allowed McCourt to use this air time to play victim. He is going to fight for his property? Really? Even though fans have said over and over again that this was not working and they have stayed away in droves and still McCourt sits in that chair and doesn’t address any of the issues. What in him has changed that he can put into words that will not make him use the Dodgers and his personal ATM? Why did he see it necessary to take charity money that fans gave and supported to be used by his friend? No Mr. Hill this cannot be your finest work? I lost so much respect for you for allowing McCourt to use you and for you allowing him to play victim.

2. Crazy Irish says:

In the end Mccourt you put your best interests ahead of the product on the field and that’s a betrayal to the fans. That’s why you suck and should sell team ASAP.

3. John says:

I am sorry for everybody who will hate this but i thought he came off honest and respectful and i appreciated hearing from him. I can understand a little better his slience. Of course there has been a lot of mistakes. Who knows if he will hold onto the team. But as far as an interview goes…i feel like he does genrally care about team and just married the wrong women.

4. Janna says:

Dear John,
    Married the wrong woman? Really! Okay not even going to comment on that but where in all the words written and not written was the gun that Jamie was holding to his head each and ever time he wrote a check to each of his sons that were “on Dodger payroll” or the $150.00 hair cuts that he got? Or how he took all that charity money that hard working folks shelled out and then turned around and gave it all away? Where were the hard hitting questions? There were not asked. Don’t get me wrong Mr. Hill’s performance was less then thrilling, he allowed McCourt to use his air time to play victim. He promised his son’s that he would not speak? Really a grown man with almost all grown children and he pomised them that he would not speak. Since when coming out and tellling his side of what a mess he made out of the team speaking about the divorce? This was not his finest hour just another slap in the face to all of us fans that took this bs from this man.

1. Josh Butts says:

So Janna, are you saying that Jamie’s got a gun? lol

2. John Q. says:

actually, those haircuts were $300

3. John A. says:

You mean getting to the playoffs more than once over the last few years? Spending money for players like Manny Ramirez in the hope of taking the Dodgers to the next level? The divorce isn’t the issue here beyond Jamie trying to get cash from what she already legally signed away. And don’t try to tell me a divorce lawyer like Jamie McCourt didn’t know exactly what she was signing. If anyone would know to read things through completely it’s her.

5. Mel Gibson says:

Janna just doesn’t like Men. McCourt has made mistakes, but the biggest one he Made was marrying a Women who cares more about money than real Love. Money is good Greed is not.

1. retphxfire says:

Do you use Mel because you are his mirror image in thought and deed? Well, I guess you would feel Janna doesn’t like men, no matter how measured and reasonable her comments were, since you obviously don’t like women (or is it more likely women just don’t like YOU?)

6. lisa says:

mccourt not macho man he crybaby

7. douglas says:

Let’s not forget the other half of the problem, his ex-wife…who apparently is going back on a contract she signed. I’m not defending this guy…I don’t know him (although I know his employees). But I am saying that it’s not always the men who are the bad guys. Women can fight much dirtier then men.